Does too much exercise lead to weight gain?

Options
Hi everyone :)

Okay so I am pretty new here but I am worried I may be overdoing exercise a little. This is an example of my week usually:

Monday: Dance class and combat class
Tuesday: Ab class (CXWORKS) and combat class
Wednesday: Dance class
Thursday: Combat and toning class
Friday: Pilates and dance clas
Saturday: Combat and body pump class
Sunday: REST (or run!)

Is this too much? If anyone can offer any advice that would be amazing :)

Thank you

Replies

• Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories burned exceed calories consumed, you will not gain weight.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If exercise leads to weight gain, it's not fat, just water. Why all the classes? That is A LOT of classes.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Too much exercise leads to burning out and giving up. Or maybe injury. Too many calories leads to weight gain.

If you think you might be doing too much, you probably are.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You might be overdoing it and run yourself the risk of an injury, to be honest!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Excluding water weight (which is temporary and doesn't really count), you can't possibly gain weight due to "too much exercise." It might be possible to exercise too much, but gaining weight wouldn't be one of the possible outcomes.

That being said, I don't imagine that you're exercising too much anyway (unless you're fairly new to working out).
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Its probably just water weight. If you are burning more calories than you are consuming, it is not a true weight gain
  • EmRose001
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!

It is rather a lot of classes, I seem to have an addiction. I always just get so restless so I do as much as possible! I always feel bloated and larger than normal (like my body is always a lot tighter in my clothes recently). Do you think this is just water weight then? I don't understand why I feel in myself and my clothes so much larger than I believe I should feel. Does that make sense? I haven't got an issue with eating/over exercising or anything before anyone assumes this :)
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    EmRose001 wrote: »

It is rather a lot of classes, I seem to have an addiction. I always just get so restless so I do as much as possible! I always feel bloated and larger than normal (like my body is always a lot tighter in my clothes recently). Do you think this is just water weight then? I don't understand why I feel in myself and my clothes so much larger than I believe I should feel. Does that make sense? I haven't got an issue with eating/over exercising or anything before anyone assumes this :)

I checked your diary and I see you haven't logged any food. So I'm not sure what you are eating.

It is probably just water weight anyways. I like working out 5-6 days a week myself, but I HAVE to take one day off to myself, no exercise nothing. Your body needs that time to repair.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

It's hard to answer your question as there are a lot of variables that we don't know about. How many calories are you consuming daily? How tall are you? How much do you currently weigh? How much are you tring to lose weekly? How many calories do you burn working out?

• EmRose001
    Options

I checked your diary and I see you haven't logged any food. So I'm not sure what you are eating.

It is probably just water weight anyways. I like working out 5-6 days a week myself, but I HAVE to take one day off to myself, no exercise nothing. Your body needs that time to repair.

I joined a while back but never committed to it. Now I just want to see what I'm eating from tomorrow and see if I can lose body fat! Okay, I will try to stop running on a Sunday like you suggest and see how that affects me. Thank you!
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

I joined a while back but never committed to it. Now I just want to see what I'm eating from tomorrow and see if I can lose body fat! Okay, I will try to stop running on a Sunday like you suggest and see how that affects me. Thank you!

Honestly, I'd keep the run and drop a couple of those classes. That's just me. :smiley:
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options

Good plan! I've found that one complete rest day actually helps your body! You should start logging too! Really helps you out.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I also do a lot of classes/gym sessions, and I haven't gained weight from it.
    This past week...
    Sun: fitball (core stability class). Usually I do spinning straight after but I wasn't totally better from being ill.
    Mon: personal training session
    Tues: spinning
    Wed: Armageddon class(HIIT/circuits)
    Thurs: spin fusion
    Fri: PT session
    Sat: rest day.
    Sun: I'll be doing fitball and spinning

On top of that I have 3 kids who I run round after. I did spin on Thurs after only 3 hours sleep (teething baby). I usually get at least 10,000 steps on my Fitbit every day too.

So, no, I don't think you do too much, but I do think you need a rest day, as do I.

I agree with others, make sure you log.
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Too much exercise can't lead to weight gain in itself, but when you are doing a-lot of exercise, it can make you very hungry. If you are just simply eating when you are hungry (as we can see you are not tracking on here) this could cause you to gain weight.

An example would be someone training for a marathon, all this running would cause the person's body to demand a lot of energy, which may lead to a slight weight gain (although not an unhealthy one). I think some people find it easier to lose weigh when they are only doing a moderate amount of exercise because they get less hungry. As has been stated often, your diet is 90% (or there about's) of the equation - it's much easier to consume an extra 500 calories that it is to burn it off.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    Logging is what keeps you accountable!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's calories in/calories out that's important, if you eat more than you burn that leads to gain, not the exercising. A rest day is vital for your muscles to repair themselves.
  • nockmeister
    Options
    Only if the exercise is massive free weights, muscle weighs more than fat...but your classes are fine don't fret...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Too much exercise leads to burning out and giving up. Or maybe injury. Too many calories leads to weight gain.

If you think you might be doing too much, you probably are.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Only if the exercise is massive free weights, muscle weighs more than fat...but your classes are fine don't fret...
    While in volume muscle weighs more than fat, "massive free weights" wouldn't be the issue either.
    Powerlifters/Olympic lifters lift massive poundages without having their bodyweight change.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png