Do carb make you fatter, like really or just technically?

Options

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How and when did this irrational fear of carbohydrates come to be...it's *kitten* annoying and stupid.

In the 90s, it was a fear of fat.

*shrugs* If it appears in a so-called fitness mag where being sexy is the point, I know I'm being sold something and generally don't bother to listen.
    protein's on the chopping block next- we all know it's coming.

You are soo right. It's going to be combined with an Eat Less Meat campaign.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How and when did this irrational fear of carbohydrates come to be...it's *kitten* annoying and stupid.
    This.
    My sil did South Beach in 2004 and ever since then hasn't shut up about carbs. That's a long time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Probably Atkins.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about restricting protein. Protein builds muscle, so if you eat too much protein and don't lift heavy weights, then all of that protein will turn into fat. How do you stop this from happening? You restrict your protein and eat all the carbs you want. Candy, ice cream, pasta, coca-cola, whatever. As long as you don't eat ANY protein, or something like that. :wink:
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Carbs will not make you fat, eating more calories than you burn in a day will cause you to gain weight. Society today has made it seem that carbs are evil, which they are not. Figuring out your macros, and logging your food is what will help you. Whether you want to lose weight, bulk (mainly for men), or just maintain. I have 200+g of carbs in a day, and I'm losing weight and inches as well as body fat.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I chat to an 85 year old lady at the bus stop every day, as I happened to be eating a banana, she said when she was young the 'health' authorities were telling people to avoid potassium...we had a good laugh at all the avoids she eaten and lived through!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I eat all the carbs, no problems here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't make you gain weight as everyone has said, but if you're like me, eating a carb heavy meal doesn't satisfy me like a high protein/fat meal does. The more carbs I eat, the more I want! Weird but but true
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Try baking Spaghetti Squash!! Its a great alternative for spaghetti noodles! Easy to cook, and tastes amazing.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Barring a health condition (like Diabetes or PCOS), the only thing you need concern yourself with for weight loss is calories.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Try baking Spaghetti Squash!! Its a great alternative for spaghetti noodles! Easy to cook, and tastes amazing.

Just stay away from protein.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nah, as long as you're on a calorie deficit then you'll lose. I know some people who swear by low carb, but it's more about satisfying meals. Cutting out simple carbs means your meals will be more filling and nutritious probably, and you crave carbs less I've heard.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I would so love to try it. But no such thing here in Australia. My veggie guy hasn't even heard of it :\
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    When they changed the food pyramid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Ladyfruit43
    Ladyfruit43 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am doing Carb Back Loading!!!! and I love it !!!!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I am doing Carb Back Loading!!!! and I love it !!!!

@Ladyfruit43‌ can you explain what this is, and benefits?
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

In the 90s, it was a fear of fat.

*shrugs* If it appears in a so-called fitness mag where being sexy is the point, I know I'm being sold something and generally don't bother to listen.
    protein's on the chopping block next- we all know it's coming.

Maybe, but right now excessive amounts of protein is the big fad in dieting, advertisers are tripping over themselves to push it and exagerate how much their product contains.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go eat some carbs right now... B)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

I would so love to try it. But no such thing here in Australia. My veggie guy hasn't even heard of it :\

Yes, we do have it in Australia. I buy it from the local markets but I haven't had any in a while.

I've actually got some seeds that I saved and dried, but I need to wait until spring to plant them. I could post you some seeds if you're keen to try to grow them. Just pm me. :)

• Christine_72
    Options

Apparently it's called 'marrow' here, but I haven't been able to find it either
    Oh ok will have a look. Thankyou. I'm in Adelaide, will check out the markets.

Yes, we do have it in Australia. I buy it from the local markets but I haven't had any in a while.

I've actually got some seeds that I saved and dried, but I need to wait until spring to plant them. I could post you some seeds if you're keen to try to grow them. Just pm me. :)

That is so nice of you @Charlottesometimes23‌ , thank you :smile: I'm going to go scouting for marrow first and see what I come up with.