15 pounds in one month

Options
is 15 pounds to much to want to lose in one month I'm trying to lose 30 in two months just in time for spring break

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It's not going to happen. You didn't put on 30lbs in 2 months, don't try to take it off that fast. It would require a 52,500 calorie deficit over the month (1,750 per day) and that is not healthy nor sustainable.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's not going to happen. You didn't put on 30lbs in 2 months, don't try to take it off that fast. It would require a 52,500 calorie deficit over the month (1,750 per day) and that is not healthy nor sustainable.

+1
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

+1

And just to clarify, my math was for one month only. Doing that for two months is absolutely unhealthy, unadvisable, and overall an awful idea.
  • AmillB
    AmillB Posts: 30 Member
    Options

+1

Lol your right
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • missiontofitness
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AmillB wrote: »

+1

Lol your right

To put it in even more perspective (and this is not endorsing VLCDs in any way), most likely your deficit would be equivilant to the amount of calories you should be eating per day to lose weight. Losing 30lbs in two months would require you to not eat for two months straight. And if by some miracle of biology you were not hospitalized due to severe malnutrition, exhaustion, or organ failure, you would lose a heck of a lot of muscle (and your heart is an organ with muscle, by the way! Hearts like being fed calories).

Doesn't sound like a fun two months before spring break, right?

Since your profile says you have 52lbs to lose, use this tier:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

Adjust it as you hit each goal, and focus on getting yourself into better health before your break! And make sure your activity level is set properly so you know your calorie goal.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options

+1

Lol your right

To put it in even more perspective (and this is not endorsing VLCDs in any way), most likely your deficit would be equivilant to the amount of calories you should be eating per day to lose weight. Losing 30lbs in two months would require you to not eat for two months straight. And if by some miracle of biology you were not hospitalized due to severe malnutrition, exhaustion, or organ failure, you would lose a heck of a lot of muscle (and your heart is an organ with muscle, by the way! Hearts like being fed calories).

Adjust it as you hit each goal, and focus on getting yourself into better health before your break! And make sure your activity level is set properly so you know your calorie goal.

Totally agree. And thanks for the information; I'm going to reset my weekly goal now.

Best of luck to the OP - I promise you that even a third of that weight loss will feel fabulous over two months. And I bet you'll do a little more than that if you stick at it! My first stone (14 lb) just rolled off in 6 weeks. Then it got tough! From what I've seen - that's very common.
  • AmillB
    AmillB Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »

+1

Lol your right

Totally agree. And thanks for the information; I'm going to reset my weekly goal now.

Best of luck to the OP - I promise you that even a third of that weight loss will feel fabulous over two months. And I bet you'll do a little more than that if you stick at it! My first stone (14 lb) just rolled off in 6 weeks. Then it got tough! From what I've seen - that's very common.

Thanks for your opinion losing 2lbs is healthy you don't have to be over 75 lbs to lose 2lbs a month

• missiontofitness
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »

+1

Lol your right

Thanks for your opinion losing 2lbs is healthy you don't have to be over 75 lbs to lose 2lbs a month

It's not 2lbs a month. It's per week. 2lbs/week (for people with more than 75lbs to lose) is too aggressive for some people. The tier allows you to focus on a proper calorie goal while still losing with lower weight loss goals.

With 50lbs to lose, you can focus on 1.5lb/week, before bumping it down to 1lb once you have 40lbs left. You get a good calorie allotment, and as long as your intake is accurate and your calorie burns not overestimated, you WILL lose. Not only that, it will help create sustainable changes, rather than following a crash diet or "quick fix" which may not stick, and cause the weight to come back.

• callmeeeclaire
    callmeeeclaire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been using my fitness pal for 4 weeks now and have managed to shift 16lbs by eating 1200 calories a day along with going to the gym 2-3 times a week! I am a bit stuck now though. The weight shifted quickly the first two weeks and the last two has been 1-2lbs a week...
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I have been using my fitness pal for 4 weeks now and have managed to shift 16lbs by eating 1200 calories a day along with going to the gym 2-3 times a week! I am a bit stuck now though. The weight shifted quickly the first two weeks and the last two has been 1-2lbs a week...

That's fine. Weight loss is quick at first as you drop water weight. It then stabilizes and slows down after a few weeks. 16lbs in a month is a lot, but it's also a huge drop in water weight from your initial changes.

1lb/month is where you want to be at with 35lbs left to lose, so you are on target with those kinds of losses.
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was down 30 pounds this month. Yay new year's resolutions!

Homer: Do you want the job done right or do you want it done fast?
    Marge: Well, like all Americans... fast!