Meal replacement drinks/powders

Options
Alright so I know there are already lots of posts about them but couldn't find quite what I was after.

After much trial and error I found that eating actual food in the mornings is a bad thing for me. So I started with the meal replacement idea. Am currently drinking the GNC go lean shake every morning which is alright but I am finding that it is to much liquid and I don't finish it until about halfway to lunch. Before this was the ones from Special K which was about the perfect size but it was way to expensive ($4-$7 for 4 drinks). My question is what would be a good one for everyday use that is about a 10 oz serving. I am looking for one that is truly good for you, not empty calories, and yet easy on the wallet as there isn't much of a food budget. :)

Any help would be appreciated as there are way to many of these things. :)

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about buying protein powder and mixing your own? They range in price from $15 and up (Wal Mart has a brand that mixes pretty well and you can use with water or milk). I personally prefer Muscle Milk powder to all the rest. I use 10oz of water and 1 scoop (so it is 150 calories). It mixes well in a shaker cup and keeps me full longer than the other brands. It has a bunch of vitamins and little sugar. The cookies n cream flavor is yummy (also, it comes in pre-mixed ones, but the powder is better tasting AND lasts longer if you only use one scoop).
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk (for me) took a bit to get used to. I didn't love the taste. But it filled me up. I couldn't stand the Lean Shake. My favorite is the shake by Herbalife. I made mine into a smoothie with added fruit and used skim milk instead of water. Was so tasty and I lost weight. You have to order through a distributor which seems like a bunch of trouble but worth it. Costly but like I said worth it.
    I hear the shakology is good too. I think it might be like Herbalife.
    I definitely recommend you getting the powder form and mixing it yourself. And try making a smoothie, makes it so much better and healthy too.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    If you don't want to spend a fortune I would suggest getting protein powder and making your own. I usually use them as a snack after a work out, but also use them to replace a meal sometimes. I usually make a smoothie and add a scoop of unflavored protein powder (it's about $25 a container, but there are 90 servings), I mix either 1% Milk or Apple juice with a little vanilla yogurt and frozen fruits. I also get chocolate flavored protein powder and mix it with milk and it is like having chocolate milk (but more filling). The health food store I go to (just a small local one) has individual serving packets of a lot of their protein powders and I tried those first so that I didn't end up spending a fortune on a big container and end up not liking it. I just make my smoothie or shake and put it in a coffee cup and take it with me. Making your own you can also make it whatever size that you want.
  • tgarofalo1
    tgarofalo1 Posts: 7
    Options
    optimum nutrion 100% oats and whey, it's a drinkable oatmeal/protein shake at about 200 calories a shake(if mixed with water) I use fat free milk for about 350 calories. It fills me up fairly well. Not that expensive either you can find at gnc.
  • ANNMILLE
    ANNMILLE Posts: 8
    Options
    THERE ARE WEB SITES THAT OFFER A VARIETY OF PROTIEN PRODUCTS. I LIKE THE PURE PROTIEN PRODUCTS THAT YOU CAN GET AT THE BIG BOX STORE IN THE PHARMACY AREA...
    IF YOU'LL TYPE IN PROTIEN POWDERS IN THE SEARCH BOX ON LINE, IT WILL CONNECT YOU TO SEVERAL DIFFERENT SITES. I DONT KNOW IF WE ARE ALLOWED TO NAME SITES. BUT I LIKE " DOCTORS BEST WEIGHT LOSS". THEY OFFER A VARIETY OF BRANDS.