Ballerina Blues

Options
Dance has been my passion my whole life, but now as I am getting older I have had to hang up the pointe shoes due to injury and the stress that it places on my body. My diet has always been spotty and I have relied on exercise to keep the pounds off, but now my bad eating habits are starting to catch up with me. I am having a very hard time maintaining healthy eating habits long term and finding an exercise regime that works for me. Repetitive gym workouts seem boring to me after years of dancing that stimulates both mind and body. I hate the idea of counting calories, but I guess that is what I am going to have to do to get back to a slimmer body.

I would love to hear from people that have good ideas on how to make a healthy diet work longterm-- especially when life is so busy and hectic. Part of the problem is getting my two children and husband on board with healthier eating as well.

Replies

• thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding something that you love to do, even if it is a bit of zumba on the wii or whatever thing there is now-a-days and try to do that as much as possible. Also, get active with the family. Going to parks and hiking, bike riding, going swimming (when it's warm) and all of that would be good. For eating, try some new recipes, be adventurous and find some things you and your famiily love. Find recipes you can make in bulk and freeze to last longer. Take it slow and soon you'll have a new routine going :]

That's what I suggest because it worked for me, but I don't have kids :P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    While you can help to introduce more nutritious eating to your family, your weight issue is your issue and not theirs. If you wanted to play piano, you wouldn't expect everyone else in the family to have to do the same? They may WANT to follow you, but don't force it upon them.
    Overall it's about portions and total calories consumed/burned to maintain/gain/lose weight. So it's good that you're going to count calories.
    As for exercise, look to Barre classes. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why not try a different form of dance that's not so grueling? Belly dancing? Zumba? Hip Hop? Lots of YouTube videos for you to try on your own without being committed.

Get the kids involved in making meals. They will be much more apt to eat something that they helped prepare. Don't make major changes overnight and expect them to be on board! Exercise with the kids via relay races, Wii games, frisbee, etc. Anything that keeps you moving for awhile.

As for your hubby, he'll catch on or he won't. He's a grown up. Be encouraging but don't badger him. When he sees the rest of the family leading a healthier lifestyle, he'll likely join you! Hope this helps. My first consult is always free >:):D
  • Spickett1029
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I needed to hear that this is my issue and not the whole family's issue. I definitely think joining some kind of class would be good for me; I work harder in a class setting and I enjoy it more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I needed to hear that this is my issue and not the whole family's issue. I definitely think joining some kind of class would be good for me; I work harder in a class setting and I enjoy it more.

Here's a clip on Barre class (not all are like this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeGdLQvkCU

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png