Do you ever get angry you have to count calories?

Options
Is anyone else mad that they have to do this, weigh and measure all their food? I deserve it. A lifetime of fast food and overeating has put me in this position but tonight I'm really angry. I spent a significant amount of time entering a recipe, making dinner and then weighing it all out so I could have the correct portion. I couldn't even take some of what I made out of the pan. I had to put it all into a bowl, weigh it, figure out the portion, calculate how much I could eat, etc...

I know I did this to myself and now I have to suffer the consequences but it's still depressing. Most of the time it isn't this much work because I tend to eat the same thing a lot but when it's something new, cooked from scratch, it takes forever.

But the good news, I'm going to keep doing it!

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No, I like it. Makes me feel like I'm in control.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I like it. I've learned a lot about food by doing this. It's eye opening.
  • BlueDaisy717
    BlueDaisy717 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes! Especially when I'm really hungry I have to weigh everything first ha so worth it though to lose the weight :)
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get annoyed that I seem to be the only person in the room who has to take the time to measure everything and visualize portions. I think that's more related to envy that I can't eat like a "normal person", and people who aren't dieting don't need to over-think what they're eating.

However, when I'm alone and prepping food, I normally don't mind. I find choosing a time to sit down, do the math, and log out my meals in advance really helps. That way, I don't have to whip out MFP every time I want to bite into something.

It's an annoying necessity, but I remind myself that a minor inconvenience will lead me to feeling and looking better in the long run
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I like doing it ... but nobody FORCES you to do it, so you really have no excuse to even get angry :P
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    In the same way I get angry I have to do laundry, and work a job, and mow the lawn, and file the taxes, and stand in line at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to renew my driver's license ... yeah.

It's just another of life's everyday, boring, menial task time-eaters that must be done to avoid even worse negative consequences.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    No - it never occurred to me. In fact, if I had done it 18 years ago, I wouldn't be in this mess. Of course, I doubt there was a MyFitnessPal 18 years ago....
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never thought about it in terms of being angry. I hope you can come to terms with that and find some peace. For me it is enjoyable. I have learned so much about nutrition and enjoy having the answers and control. I get to chose.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

^^^This...I find the structure of it to be freeing, that and knowing that I can eat pretty much anything I want and fit it into my calories. But that's just me.

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't get angry about doing it, but sometimes I do get tired of doing it. However, it isn't something that anyone is making me do. It's something that I chose to do. I could stop tomorrow, but if I did, I realize that means I most likely wouldn't continue to make progress towards the goals I have set for myself.

And, when I do reach the point where I am so tired of doing it that I just want to scream, I take a day or two and just don't do it. I realize there may be consequences of making that decision, but ultimately, they are negligible, and it keeps me sane, so I can get back to it and continue to drop the weight.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Yassssss.
    It was monotonous at first for me, but now it's become muscle memory. I'm glad I do it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No. It's just something I need to do. There are some people who are good at judging a normal portion. I'm not one of them. It's not a big deal to me. I long ago made my peace with... oh, say... not being naturally good at a lot of things. Accepting that I'm not good at this AND that it's an easy fix is freeing.
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not angry. I don't hate myself or blame myself. This is not punishment for overeating in the past, it's just what I have to do now and for the rest of my life. It's like cleaning my teeth - sure it takes me a bit of time but the alternative is less pleasant.

If you don't mind me saying, I think that you should be less hard on yourself. What's done is done: you won't change anything by being angry with yourself or with the scales.

Weighing food it's not the worst thing ever.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Yes, I guess angry is the wrong word, maybe just tired.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find it tedious. I find glasses tedious, too. But I'm still glad there is assistive technology for my broken eyes, and I'm glad there is assistive technology for my broken appetite.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I get more upset that I choose terrible yet delicious over-sized meals to eat. It's shameful for me to log that, so I really try hard to remind myself that I want to log positive, healthy food!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just try to look at it as a learning experience. I do understand how you're feeling because I've felt that way too. Now I just try to make it fun and interesting. I try to see it more as a hobby than a tedious thing that I have to do. Being miserable doesn't do us any good. Also, fake liking it until you actually do like it... Did that too ;)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

This.

I do agree that for first time recipes, especially ones with a ton of ingredients and variants it can be super time consuming and a hassle especially when it gets in the way of something more fun, but in the end it's worth it. I love having a place to store all my recipes and know what a serving is and how it can add into my day. All I can say is it gets easier and after a while is relatively quick. Overall having control about what goes into your body should be seen as a positive.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get frustrated with it. When I stop and think, it's usually because I'm mad about other things though. I'm a medical student, and sometimes when I get overwhelmed with school and all the pressure to be perfect in your classes and never be wrong and never not know an answer, and I just stop and think - none of my other classmates have to do this.

I also try to remember that everyone has a burden to carry. Mine is my struggle with my weight and the cost of that is logging my food. Even when other people seemingly have no troubles I remember that there's something in their life that gives them a hard time too. Then I weigh my food like a good MFP-er and move on!