emotinal/stress eating

Options
I love to eat good, I love to exercise, I have control......most of the time. When I find myself surrounded by pessimism and negativity, I find myself unable to control myself. I recognize it, I try to control it. Once I start, I struggle to stop the comfort eating. Of course winter makes it a little more difficult. Anyone have suggestions on keeping myself mentally strong through these situations?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    First I want to say I read a little about it and emotional eating is not as bad as you think. Because it is relatively infrequent.

To answer your question though, you know the drill: phone a friend, take a walk outside, journal, have a bubble bath, work out etc.

"Habitual disinhibition" is the bigger problem. So the most important part is the "struggle to stop the comfort eating". A lapse is just a lapse unless you let it turn into an overeating habit.
  • aimeealee
    aimeealee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you. You are right. I do know the drill. It's funny how a person can get caught up in a situation and forget all logical thinking. I needed a refresher on your info! Thanks!
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a bit of a problem with this as well. When stressed or annoyed with something, I feel tempted to head to the pantry. I have managed to avoid it most of the time by making myself a cup of coffee or tea and distracting myself (watching TV, going for a walk, painting, etc).

I also get really stressed out at work and feel tempted to run to the local store and chow down on a chocolate bar. I've managed to avoid this most of the time by repeating the mantra in my head: "I don't need it". Again, I found distracting myself would also take away my mind from the stress, thus eliminating my cravings. Talking to my coworkers or taking a short break and making a coffee at work would help me take my mind off of things. Good luck :)
  • stschwartz
    stschwartz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great topic. About the only time I binge on food is when I experience some sort of upsetting news, event that I feel I cannot control. Thanks for the mantra idea! I'll have to come up with one related to what triggers me.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to. You need to learn other ways to comfort yourself - exercise of some sort, call a friend, go for a drive, etc. Replace the eating with another habit that's healthier. In the beginning, it's work - until it becomes a (good) habit :-)