meal replacement?

Options
I am thinking of using a meal replacement shake....I am interested in trying shakeology but am not sure yet...what other brands do you use? What would you suggest?

Replies

• justcallmejennifer
    justcallmejennifer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    interested in this too.
  • simone74
    simone74 Posts: 13
    Options
    My Endocrinologist actually suggested I try the EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control Protein shakes they sell at Kroger. (If Kroger is in your area) It's only 2g of carbs and it pretty much fills me up (I take it in the morning for breakfast, and I'm good until lunchtime). Hope this helps you in some way!
  • JLPearce12
    JLPearce12 Posts: 23
    Options
    I also use EAS, Myoplex Lite. I found out about it after reading the Body for Life book and I went with the plan, some 10 years ago. I have always built alot of muscle quickly with the help of all of the protein in the shakes. EAS makes several different kinds, as the last post said, for different people's needs. Good Luck!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have heard from many people that shakeology is a waste of money. Try Muscle Milk or Myoplex shakes for a meal or two, but there is no substitute for real food (fruits, veggies, lean meats).
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    I will see if my local stores have EAS, I live in a very rural area so if not I can try the "big city". Thanks! Yah, I know it doesn't really "replace" healthy foods, but I'm looking for something quick and easy for times when I need to get some calories in and want something quick that I know is healthy.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Real food is your best option. If you're looking for "quick and easy", natural cheese sticks and natural peanut butter are both spectacular options for that. One good solution I found is to make little PB pops by spooning natural PB into an ice tray, inserting toothpicks, and tossing into the freezer.

If you absolutely must go with a meal replacement, Muscle Milk is probably your best bet.

On the other hand, nothing worth doing is quick nor easy!

Finally, there's always online shopping if you cannot find things locally.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Vega (any flavor - all very good!! ) or Raw Meal (if you can stomach it)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I tend to do 4 meals a day and usually one of them is a protein shake. I buy the Musclemilk//Cytosport kind from Costco (140 cals, 27 g protein), it's something like 78 servings for about $33 I think. I mix it with water or almond milk, ice, and blend and it's really good. I also sometimes add 1 teaspoon of sf ff pudding powder and 1/4 t of guar gum and 1/8 tsp of xantham gum, which make it thick and creamy like a milkshake. Having one meal be around 200 calories helps me stay full and eat more often but keep under my calories.
  • seansquared
    Options
    Remember to not just look at the protein; the other macros are just as important to monitor!
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife meal replacement shakes.. I love them. I have had atleast one everyday since I started in June!!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Remember to not just look at the protein; the other macros are just as important to monitor!

Not sure if this was directed at me or just in general, but I know on another thread someone mentioned that a meal replacement shake (versus just a protein shake people use after working out) should have protein/fat/carbs, not just protein. The protein powder that I like that I mentioned above only has 3 g carbs and 2 g fat...which might make a case for me going back to adding a banana and a little peanut butter to my shakes! :)
  • PrimalRenewal
    Options
    FYI: Shakeology is made from more than 70 whole foods, many of which are considered "superfoods". EAS and the others are made from artificial chemicals (more than 40 in EAS).
    Shakeology is all natural. The others are not.
    Shakeology has no sugar or artificial sweetener - it has stevia. EAS has sucralose. Most of the others use artificial sweeteners and/or sugar alcohols.
    Shakeology is SO much more than a chemical protein drink. It is a meal, loaded with more nutrients than you'll get anywhere else, and all that goodness from natural, whole food sources. It also has digestive aids and many other benefits.
    In my opinion, it is worth every penny and none of those others can even hold a candle to it. Just my opinion, though.
  • PrimalRenewal
    Options
    Oh, I forgot one thing:
    Shakeology comes with a 30-day bottom-of-the-bag money-back guarantee. If you try it for a month and don't like it, you just call and get your money back. I don't see EAS or any others offering that!
    A third flavor - tropical - will be coming soon as well, to add to the line of chocolate and greenberry.
  • seansquared
    Options
    FYI: Shakeology is made from more than 70 whole foods, many of which are considered "superfoods". EAS and the others are made from artificial chemicals (more than 40 in EAS).
    Shakeology is all natural. The others are not.

Xantham Gum is created in labs, so you can't really claim that Shakeology is "all natural".
    Shakeology has no sugar or artificial sweetener - it has stevia. EAS has sucralose. Most of the others use artificial sweeteners and/or sugar alcohols.

Ethanol and/or methanol are used in the commercial production of Stevia. There is also no known FDA testing nor approval regarding Suma Root, which means it's not going into my body. Same goes for methylsulfonylmethane. And a ton of other ingredients on the list of junk that Shakeology contains.
    Shakeology is SO much more than a chemical protein drink. It is a meal, loaded with more nutrients than you'll get anywhere else, and all that goodness from natural, whole food sources. It also has digestive aids and many other benefits.
    In my opinion, it is worth every penny and none of those others can even hold a candle to it. Just my opinion, though.

So basically we should just eat whole foods and skip the shortcuts like this one? Oh OK, thanks for clarifying :)
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Best meal replacement powder is vi shape nutritional shake mix! So yummy and full of nutrition :)