Any Soccer players out there?

Have you had a knee related problems from playing?

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    A couple, and most of my teammates have hurt their knees/ankles at some point or another, very few have had serious lasting injuries.
    Most problems arise from injuries, hyperextension (that's how I hurt mine) and a lot of knee clonking goes on. So long as you get any injuries treated properly you shouldn't have problems that effect your day to day life.

No different than injuries from any other sport :smile:
  • OliviaMG1
    OliviaMG1 Posts: 46 Member
    I tore my ACL twice playing soccer :( Now I run and I coach; but I have opted out of any contact sports :)
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Thankfully none yet. I still try and get out and play when I can too.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    I played a lot when I was younger. I picked it up again regularly in my late thirties. Played until a few years ago -- never had a serious injury (broke a wrist, and had some strains, sore joints, and what not, but no ACL tears or anything), but I kept getting enough little annoying injuries that kept me from playing for a week or two, and then kept me from playing and impeded daily life for a week or two, and then that convinced me I was on the road to seriously messing something up. Tweaking an ankle or a knee every fifth or sixth match just got to be too much to keep it up. Again, no major injuries or lingering effects.

Aging sucks. I only play now in really low-key "for fun" matches every now and again. Not sure how old you are - it was a *kitten* to learn I could no longer physically do what I could visualize doing (and was capable of doing at one time).
  • Its a tough sport on your joints
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 710 Member
    Played in youth/high school, then started again around age 25. Tore ACL about 6 years ago playing soccer. Had reconstruction and am playing again co-ed. Run as well. 41 years old, still love playing.
  • i miss it
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I played soccer up until I was about 51 years. Here where I live, they have an open-age adult league with three divisions, and an over-30-years league, and an over-40-years league. And now, an over-50-years league. Never had any serious injuries until the very end. Had plenty of minor, niggling injuries. But, hey, runners get injured. Tennis players get injured. Skiers get injured. I figured the minor injuries were just the price you pay and the sport -- the team camaraderie too -- was worth it.
    Then I tore my ACL. Rehab at my age takes WAY too long. I gave soccer up. I do too many other active things.
    Plus, I just remember standing on the sidelines in my over-40-years league. When I was out on the field, it felt like we were skillful and that we were playing the game like we always had. But, when I stood on the sidelines, I had a totally different perspective. I looked at my teammates chasing the ball around and I thought: "Man, those guys are really slow....and fat!" I know I looked that way too.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    I have played mens and co-ed indoor for many years, maybe 20 now. I have always squatted and dead lifted. Knock on wood, no injuries from it. I think the training helps.

However, I have played with the same group mostly for the last 15 years. 4 woman have torn their ACLs and 2 men. It seems to be a common injury. The others like me that have not gotten injured have done strength training. I highly recommend strength training with compound lifting for injury prevention. I have no facts on that at my disposal just observation.

If you ever tear anything, remember to do all the rehab and get it fixed soon and don't do any more damage. Those that have torn their ACL have all come back. The ones that did their rehab and do some strength training now, show little to no effects. There is one guy that didn't take his rehab too seriously and he still has issues.