Goal 50 lbs in 5 months

Options
It's like stopping any addictive behaviors, stop cold turkey, no messing around. It's not about what I cannot eat but what I can; see 'Furhma' book and intermittent fasting (Mercola) and kicking myself into exercising - cardio and weight training every day. I can do this and I approach the challenge with a smile and grit. I will miss the wine but I can have it again in 5 months. Anybody else out there going extreme 10 lbs / month for 5 months.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you only have 50 Lbs to lose? If so, I can pretty much guarantee it's not happening...unless you are substantially overweight, you can't sustain that kind of loss in a linear fashion...

why not just start developing healthy and sustainable habits? what's the rush? crashing your diet isn't going to do a whole lot for you.
  • takeflightwren
    takeflightwren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Only 50. I tried WW several times, vegan for a while but not sustainable for me. If I allow myself any indulgence all bets (goals) are off. I do eat a very healthy, vegetable rich diet. I have an incredibly stressful job along with some other business obligations that have left me a brain dead couch potato for the very fist time in my life this last year and a half. My, how swiftly an extra 20 pounds can find it's way into my (already chunky) body. Rush? I want to just get it done and then work very, very diligently on maintaining the healthy weight - this will be the hardest part. I live in a culinary / food rich hot spot, highest per capita brew pub environment with wonderful wineries all around. I love flavors, vintages, microbrews - like a smoker (have never been) or alcoholic (never been or will ever be), I have to QUIT, 'cold turkey', reset my internal volume meter, lose some pounds so I can get back to my ole active hiking, biking, backpacking (I want to carry the weight on my back not my butt!) self." I really, really hope I can prove your "it's not happening" prediction wrong. I can do this and much literature (Fuhrman, Mercola - check out his research) and others substantiate the possibility. The worst thing that can happen is I get close, when the rate of loss declines I hope to be in good enough shape at that point to go into activity overdrive during summer when I have lots of time to push it home. That's my goal. It's only 5 months, then the real work begins - staying there.
  • lissmack83
    Options
    Hi, I'm always after new female friends to help motivate eachother, I can't add ppl at the moment feel free to add me
  • FullofSuccess
    FullofSuccess Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think 5o in the months seems excessive..... My goal is 1 lb a week. Feel free to add me. I don't want to discouraged you, but take it slow.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Um, well, those that tend to aim for speed rather than maintainability will almost always gain the weight back. Why? Because you spent all that time just trying to lose the weight, and not learning how to control your eating and develop a lifestyle that will last you for the rest of your life.

A lot of people will say "Well moderation is not possible for me!" when it actually is. It just takes a lot more willpower than avoiding the thing entirely.

A big red flag for me was when you said "I can have wine again in 5 months." This is what I'm talking about. Because you're not learning to incorporate wine/all other foods you like into your calorie allowance, you're not going to know how to deal with those things at all once the weight is off and will probably over indulge and see pounds start creeping back on.

In the end, it's all up to you but I'd highly suggest getting the idea of 10lbs a month out of your head and start aiming more towards calorie and fitness goals. The weight will come off and you'll also develop habits that will help you maintain your weight when you are there. It'll just take a little longer than 5 months.

Also; weight training every day is not a good idea. Your muscles need time in between to recover and get strong again.
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with Pinkshoelaces and the others. I think 50lb in 5 months is not a good idea.

It's taken me 7 months to 25lb.... true, not everyone loses at the same rate...

Almost everyone wants to "get it done", but there has to be a balance between getting it done and doing it in a healthy and sustainable way.

Good luck.

• Anonymous136
    Options
    lissmack83 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm always after new female friends to help motivate eachother, I can't add ppl at the moment feel free to add me
    I'm new how do I add you?
  • Anonymous136
    Options
    lissmack83 wrote: »
    I'm new how do I add you?