Gluten free PCOS

Options
So the new year is coming and everyone is making changes for 2015. I am on the band waggon but am realistic in knowing it is going to take time. I have PCOS so struggle with my weight. Over the last year my junk food in take has gotten out of control, I can make excuses but I choose what I put in my mouth so am making changes for a more healthy life style. due to the PCOS I have read that a Gluten free diet helps with the weight mainly due to the low amount of carbs but all helps insulin levels. I would love some advise from people in the same situation as this is going to be a whole new life style for me. Good luck to the people making changes or have done so. regards charchar

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and the only reason to go "gluten free" is if you have celiac disease. I eat Low GI food and balance my cabs with protein. I eat a slightly higher amount of protein and with walking I'm dropping weight at a good rate.

It's all about having a "Caloric Deficit" you have to find the right balance for your body, I find doing a 80/20 lifestyle works for me I don't feel like I'm missing any foods. (and I really do get to enjoy my free meal, some folk call it a cheat day)

Good luck
  • charcharxxx
    Options
    Hi Katherine thanks for your reply, is 80/20 80% good food 20% bad food? I don't have celiac disease but do suffer when I eat wheat and cereals, Never been to the dog just suffer with heart burn for the day if I have wheatabix lol
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    yes 80% good 20% treat foods, You have to find what carbs your body likes, for me I can't eat rice or pasta at night, the carbs keep me awake :(

If I go very low carbs I get very crabby, My better half knows when were out that he has to feed me :wink: or he will have to deal with a "Hell Beast" (subways fixes this issue quite well)

My advice don't eat wheatbix ;)
  • brideofsuperman
    brideofsuperman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Charchatxxx! I'm 27 with PCOS too. (Not the club I was hoping to join :neutral_face: ) Im always looking for new friends. I like low carb..no carb/super low carb makes me evil. Gluten free can be very expensive (and not very tasty). I would agree that unless you truly need to be gluten free for a medical condition, then a low carb diet might be the better option. Have you see a Dr about your insulin levels? Not everyone with PCOS has insulin problems.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    So the new year is coming and everyone is making changes for 2015. I am on the band waggon but am realistic in knowing it is going to take time. I have PCOS so struggle with my weight. Over the last year my junk food in take has gotten out of control, I can make excuses but I choose what I put in my mouth so am making changes for a more healthy life style. due to the PCOS I have read that a Gluten free diet helps with the weight mainly due to the low amount of carbs but all helps insulin levels. I would love some advise from people in the same situation as this is going to be a whole new life style for me. Good luck to the people making changes or have done so. regards charchar

Yes Gluten free diet can help with the weight like you stated. High insulin levels seems to lower the ability to burn fat per some researchers.

• bellanicol7
    bellanicol7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, was diagnosed in 2010 and am Gluten free.
    I noticed that I feel better physically. The gluten, for me, causes inflammation, gas, and just a yucky feeling overall. Being Gluten free, paired with my metformin, a caloric deficit, and finishing my eating schedule by 6pm in the evenings helped to regulate my body and my weight. I lose 15lbs so far by doing this. I knew it was from the above because once the holidays hit and I got off track schedule wise and having gluten I felt yucky and gained five lbs back.
    Not here to debate science, this is just my personal experience.
  • jjule11
    Options
    I too have PCOS and will be starting day one of my gluten free lifestyle tomorrow because my dr believes I am gluten sensitive. I will try it atleast 30 days to see if any changes good or bad and go from there but my sister n law has had nothing but positive things to say and she too is gluten sensitive and has lost a lot of weight being gluten free so that is a plus!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is not necessary, but reducing carbs is. In particular, you should reduce/eliminate simple carbs.

There are some gluten-free items that are big no-nos for PCOS, such as white rice.

Track and see what works for your body. I have found that 100 G carbs/day is my maintenance level, and that I tend to lose weight if I can get below 70 G/day. Regular exercise is also essential.

I have PCOS as well as several other metabolic diseases. I have lost 80+ pounds and maintained the loss for a couple of years. Now I am trying to buckle down and lose a bit more.
  • itamer
    itamer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Read Wheat Belly or Grain Brain - get them from your library and they'll explain lots better than I can here and then you can make your own mind up. Then read up on glyphosphate treatment of wheat prior to harvest and decide if that is a concern too.
    The insulin response, for me, is the reason to go grain free. You still get tons of carbs through vegetables but it still counts as low carbs.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    the only reason to go "gluten free" is if you have celiac disease

^^^ This
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I to have PCOS and a number of other medical issues. I agree with most of the others gluten free is not what you need unless you are sensitive to it. You need low carb which is not the same thing. I am struggling with low carb but am working on it, as I love my carbs.