Diabetic Foot Care for Work-Outs

Options
Looking for some recommendations on what I can do to stop torturing my poor feet when I go to the gym and walk on the treadmill. I had to see the doc last week because I had walked around 15 miles between gym workouts and a 5k charity walk. One of my toes has become covered in blisters. It begins to heal, then I get another one in the same spot. I am thinking maybe my old Nike sneakers are not cutting it anymore and I need something better.

If anyone has any sneaker recommendations or general foot care, anti-blister advice, please hook a girl up. I have tried everything from Johnsons blister band-aids, gauze, airing it out, etc. and nothing is working. Its discouraging because the rest of me just wants to keep going and going but this little toe of mine is screaming at me to stop.

Replies

• bridgetzc
    bridgetzc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see that you included Diabetic Foot Care in the heading of your post. If you are a diabetic you really need to take care of your feet (as you probably know). It wouldn't hurt to see a podiatrist so that they can help you with shoe selection and your problem with blisters. They can also help prevent any problems with your feet that can lead to serious complications. At the very least I would go to an athletic shoe store at the end of the day when your feet tend to be swollen to help with proper shoe sizing. I would ask a sales associate to help select shoes based on what activities you will be using them for. I personally have always liked New Balance.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    So stop or slow down try the bike or pool something that will let it heal keep the weight off of it for a while especially if your a diabetic usually a hard time healing you don't want to get it infected the you will be up --- creek. Give it a rest
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You mention shoes, but socks are important, too! They should be good fitting socks that aren't going to slide around and bunch up inside your shoes. And yes, you should wear socks.

I am not diabetic, so I don't have to take that last piece of advice.