please coud i have some help and advice please

Options
hi all im gemma im 5ft lightly active and weight is 8 st 13 lbs I would like to loose a stone and following weight watchers at the moment, I would like to know if you have followed weight watchers and changed to mfp. on ww I have 26 dailies and 49 weeklies the rule is 1piont for every 40 cals. but fruit and and most veg except items like potatoes are free and in real life they have cals. so what im trying to say is how many cals should I be eating to loose on mfp. mfp sets a defalt of 1200 and I have hered about tdee ??? please skome one help me xx

Replies

• ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose just 0.5 to 1 pound per week, as you only have one stone (14 pounds, I believe) to lose, so you don't want to lose it too fast, or you'll risk losing more muscle mass than is necessary. Plus, who doesn't like to eat more? ;)

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure--Basically the amount of calories your body needs to MAINTAIN your current weight. Many people like to determine how much this is, subtract 10-20% of it, and eat that while disregarding calories from exercise.

MFP's method, on the other hand, gives you the amount of calories you can lose weight on WITHOUT any exercise. You can log your exercise, and eat back the calories earned from your exercise, and still lose the weight that you've chosen as your weekly goal. I recommend only eating about half of those calories back, as MFP gives very generous estimates for exercise.

Yes, veggies and fruits do have calories! You should count/log EVERYTHING, down to the oil you cook eggs in, if you use it. I highly recommend buying a food scale for accurate logging, so you actually know what you're eating.

All the best, and welcome to MFP! Be honest with yourself and consistent in your logging, and you'll get where you want to go. :)
  • amazing thanks so ditch weight watchers and do mfp is that what you are saying could you please tell me where is can work out my calorie deflect from please and just a quick question do I change like my daily carbs and protein etc x
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    amazing thanks so ditch weight watchers and do mfp is that what you are saying could you please tell me where is can work out my calorie deflect from please and just a quick question do I change like my daily carbs and protein etc x

Basically, that's what I'm saying, although many people do like the support that comes with the Weight Watchers group meetings. While I agree that group support is nice, I have to disagree with their "free" fruits and veggies, because fruits and starchy vegetables can pack a calorie punch if you're eating a large amount of them.

As for setting up your goals, you can go to your "Home" on the website and you'll find several "sub-tabs" under your main tabs that say things like "Goals" and "Check-in". You can change your goals by clicking on the "Goals" tab.

While I do recommend bringing your protein percentage up higher (MFP automatically sets it very low), as a newbie you really shouldn't be worrying too much about macros and focus more on just learning to log more accurately. So, I would say to forget about macros at the moment and don't overwhelm yourself. Keep it simple :)