Is Hypothyroidism an Excuse?

2»

Replies

• SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Well, I've had been diagnosed at 7. I'm 21 now. I've always had to work harder to keep weight in check, and anxiety wreaks havoc on my system which leads to me gaining weight and keep it on despite exercise/diet.

For the past 4 months, I've been miserable at my job and no amount of working out/ eating right helped. I left a week ago and I do feel better. I've lost some weight easily.

I think it's also a stress response which triggers weight/fat retention. I wouldn't blame it solely on hypothyroidism, but on the endocrine system getting overstressed.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    I'm on Levothyroxine...I just don't feel any different and I only lost 4 lbs in my first month...I guess I was just curious if, at my size, that was a "you need to change your strategy" or a "you're doing good, it's just because of your thyroid" type of a loss...

Four pounds in a month is a pound a week. That is a reasonable amount of weight loss -- quite sustainable and progress in the right direction.

• Marigoldie
    Marigoldie Posts: 15 Member
    You are going to have to be ever vigilant on what you eat and work harder than most people to maintain or lose. Even on proper meds it is so easy to gain if you let your guard down!
  • I'm on Levothyroxine...I just don't feel any different and I only lost 4 lbs in my first month...I guess I was just curious if, at my size, that was a "you need to change your strategy" or a "you're doing good, it's just because of your thyroid" type of a loss...

My husband has hypothyroidism and had to go back to his endocrinologist several times to get his dose right and sometimes it still changes after its been steady for years at a time. Also, 1 pound a week is a very healthy rate. If it took you a year to put on 50 pounds, it isn't unreasonable that it will take a year or more to shed it all again. Deficits are harder than surpluses. You're doing great so far!
  • KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    If your thyroid meds are calculated right, you won't have any more issues losing weight than 'regular' people.

I'm completely hypothyroid, post radiation. I get my blood tested annually, or if I'm feeling a bit off (I got used to how I should feel, and notice changes). As long as my dose is right, no worries losing weight. I lost about 25kg in a year whilst taking the same medication as you.

So you can do this! You're already on the right path :-)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    vmsolko wrote: »
    I have hypothyroidism too. I've had it for 12 years, along with Type 1 diabetes. Honestly, I am not sure how well I'd lose weight WITHOUT hypothyroidism, so I can't really blame it. Because I was diagnosed at age 18, I'd never tried to lose weight pre-hypothyroidism.

I can say that when I was severely under-medicated, I was tired constantly. But after a week of the correct dosage, I was like a new person. So I am of the opinion that as long as you are on the right dosage and your levels are within normal limits, hypothyroidism shouldn't play a big role in your lack of weight loss. I would look more closely at other factors that could be a cause (secondary to hypothyroidism) of a slow weight loss: are you too tired and phoning in your workouts, are you needing to tweak your food and calories consumed, are you logging accurately?

I'm the same way - Hashimoto's since I was 18 and type 1 diabetes since I was 9. I also have type 2 diabetes (since 13), and the symptoms of type 2 have started to decrease as I lose weight. So I'll lose a few lbs. and then suddenly have to eat a whole lot to treat lows. On my worst day, I ate more than 600g of carbs to treat lows... makes it hard to have a calorie deficit.

Having said that, I agree about getting dosage figured out and looking at other factors. It sounds like the OP is losing 1 lb/wk, which is not unreasonable. I suggest cutting back calorie intake a bit more if that isn't enough.
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    You go get the proper medication.
    You track properly.
    You exercise to the best of your ability.

If you don't do those things then yes you would be using Hypothyroidism as an excuse. You can lose weight even though you have that issue. But if you don't address it properly then you might as well play the victim.

^^^^

Perfect answer.

Hypothyroidism wont stop you from reaching your goals. Only excuses and a lack of willpower can do that
  • MrM27 wrote: »
    You go get the proper medication.
    You track properly.
    You exercise to the best of your ability.

If you don't do those things then yes you would be using Hypothyroidism as an excuse. You can lose weight even though you have that issue. But if you don't address it properly then you might as well play the victim.

^^^^

Perfect answer.

Hypothyroidism wont stop you from reaching your goals. Only excuses and a lack of willpower can do that
    +1
    I was already obese when diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Surgery in 2005, right lobe removed. Prescribed synthroid. Used my condition as an excuse to pack on more weight ending up with a BMI of 33

Saw a vacation picture of myself and decided I'd had enough. Through diet and exercise, I lost 90 lbs over 18 months (my heart condition, tachycardia, also disappeared and I was able to toss those pills)

A couple years later I became pregnant (another miracle and a story for another time) and packed on some weight. When my son was 4 I discovered MFP and from June to November of 2014 lost 55 lbs. No fad diets, no miracle pills. I just ate less and moved more.

So yes, you can allow or to become an excuse, or you can realize it's just a hurdle, hop over it and keep on going.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    MFP has a Hypothyroid & Hyperthyroid group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (for me, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    I'm hypothyroid and medicated. I don't have trouble losing weight as long as I track my meals. However, when I go off of the wagon the regain is fast!
  • I have hypothyroidism as well I found out this past year. I had always been 5'2" and 110 and all of a sudden I had started gaining 5-10 pounds a month for a few months I gained 20 pounds overall without ANY change to my diet or exercise Before I went in and got diagnosed. I got on the right meds which takes a bit because they have to guesstimate and retest you several times. But after it was all said and done I immediately came here and through some minor cut backs in diet along with the meds working in my favor soon I'll be back down. Just eat healthy and make sure your dosage is right and you'll drop weight. The meds will work in your favor helping you lose weight as well.