how to get the will to diet

Options
hi i want to lose the weight so bad but just can get a diet started :( every time i start it last 12 - 14 hours then that is me done -_- , what can i do to help my will power , please help <3

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It helps if you break the total weight loss down into smaller manageable chunks. Concentrate on 5 or 10lbs at a time, small victories will lead to the ultimate goal.

Will power and motivation are usually fleeting and they may only help get you started, but it is commitment that will see you through to achieving your goals.

Commit to doing what it takes, regardless of how hard it may feel, regardless of those weeks where there are no losses or perhaps there are even gains, but commit to seeing it through.

Write down three weight loss, fitness or health goals...write down three things you need to change to achieve them, write down three things you need to do to achieve them...commit!
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree, set small goals. Don't deprive yourself of what you love, just learn how to fit them into your daily routine. If it is that difficult for you, figure out how many calories you are eating in a day and slowly trim that back over time. Once you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What is it that you are doing that you can't sustain for more than 12-14 hours? Are you being to restrictive and cutting to much?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    For me it was education. Once I was knowledgable on the process and understood exactly what needed to be done it was rather easy to apply and stick with it. That was 80 pounds ago. I have l
    If you don't know what you are doing it is easy to quit simply because you don't know what the next step is.

All you need to know is here for free. ( it is also around here on MFP, but this is what I found when I started and I like it )
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • csiriddle
    Options
    Boy, you are singing my song. I too have the same problem. All of these diets are fine & dandy and they work if you can just DO them. Where is that "umph" that's needed to stick to something. I have many of the symptoms of a binge eater. Do you? I think that some of us need cognitive behavioral therapy to unlock the blocks we have to sticking to a healthy eating plan for life! I hope to find that kind of help as well & when I do I will be more than happy to share....
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do you have to "diet"? I like MFP calorie deficit idea. It's quick, it's easy, and it really works. Stick to the recommended calorie goal (choose a realistic goal) and log your food. It really is that simple. I can eat whatever I like. If I want cookies or a pudding, super, I just log it. I have a pudding almost everyday. And my coffee. Then I try to have 3 regular meals so I am not hungry. The first week was rough, and then I lost 4 pounds at weigh in. Week 2 I was excited to log and get a feel for what I could have for my calories. Now I don't feel deprived or like I am dieting at all. Not even a little bit. My first goal is to log for 30 days and try to stick to my calories. I have a weight loss goal, but that is huge and unmanageable for me so I forget it (50 pounds is just too far out of my league. No worries). I just go day by day logging with weekly weigh ins. I am at day 25, and down about 7 pounds. No magic, no super willpower, just easy logging and sticking to my calories!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    In my case I had to get to the point where I was willing to work for health and life vs do more of the same for sickness and death.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    What is it that you are doing that you can't sustain for more than 12-14 hours? Are you being to restrictive and cutting to much?

When I started changing my lifestyle I changed small things at a time.
    I used to drink a lot of shop bought coffee, maybe 4 or 5 day. So that was a lot of milk. So at first I cut this back bit by bit. Now I might only have one black coffee a week. It was small changes like this that I made bit by bit that helped me lose over 20kg.

The other thing I have done is never looked at it as a diet. I have chosen a life that includes eating healthy, exercising and enjoying life. I still eat treats such as chocolate and ice cream. When I do I make sure I enjoy them and don't feel guilty.

Hope this helps,

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think you need to write down why your previous diets failed.

Too many restrictions? Eat whatever you want within your calorie allotment.

Did you eat a big healthy breakfast/lunch and you were starving at night? Save calories for snacks.

Too aggressive a goal? You don't have to start at X. You can eat over as long as you stay within a deficit.

Do you get messed up on Day One and give up on the plan? Log it and move on.

Motivation is highly overrated. Just put one foot in front of the other.
  • Creizian
    Creizian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

This! What exactly are you doing that's so garden to stick to?
  • Creizian
    Options
    In my case I had to get to the point where I was willing to work for health and life vs do more of the same for sickness and death.

• Creizian
    Options
    Thank you
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    csiriddle wrote: »
    Boy, you are singing my song. I too have the same problem. All of these diets are fine & dandy and they work if you can just DO them. Where is that "umph" that's needed to stick to something. I have many of the symptoms of a binge eater. Do you? I think that some of us need cognitive behavioral therapy to unlock the blocks we have to sticking to a healthy eating plan for life! I hope to find that kind of help as well & when I do I will be more than happy to share....

check out the book "The Beck Diet Solution: Train your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person". She uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques applied to weight loss/food.