Portion

Just watched the video... Really makes you think. Cheese is definitely one of my down falls. When I saw the huge plate of apples compared to the 2 little pieces of cheese I could believe it. I won't say I have been perfect but I have been trying to use measuring cups to measure portions out as I put them on my plate. When I do this my plate actually looks like it should!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    When I first analyzed my diary years ago, I found I could drop out cheese, milk, and bread and hit my calorie deficit every day. Makes you think.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Don't drop out all calcium rich foods as they are so good for you. I always drink skimmed milk even went dieting.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I found low fat and fat free cheeses have more protein than regular and taste just as good and of course they have calcium. You just can't cook with them because they become yucky and of course, don't have the fat for cooking.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    When I was losing weight, any cheese other than fat free cottage cheese was off the list.. when I started maintenance, I added it back once a week. I find that if I make a choice at each meal for the "extra calories" that I maintain on, I generally default to avocado when it is available vs cheese. That being said, I get my calcium from greek yogurt and my day dose of half and half in my coffee. I now treat cheese like I would salad dressing - carefully measured to enjoy on the side.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    reduced fat cheeses are nice, like light string cheese, lowfat cottage cheese, nuefatchel cream cheese,or skim american slices.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    1565sears wrote: »
    Just watched the video... Really makes you think. Cheese is definitely one of my down falls. When I saw the huge plate of apples compared to the 2 little pieces of cheese I could believe it. I won't say I have been perfect but I have been trying to use measuring cups to measure portions out as I put them on my plate. When I do this my plate actually looks like it should!

if you're enjoying using the measuring cups, I would suggest using a food scale. it's even MORE eye-opening. especially if you weigh a food in the measuring cup. rice and oats seem to have the biggest difference, for my menus. :) weighing out a serving of cereal has made me realize why cereal is "part of a complete breakfast;" it's not enough for anything. :p
  • Tillie1966
    Tillie1966 Posts: 1 Member
    Don't drop out all calcium rich foods as they are so good for you. I always drink skimmed milk even went dieting.

you can get more calcium from spinach than dairy products, just a fyi, I was shocked to learn that also,,veggies have calcium
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I don't have cheese very often other than baby bels, which are just rubbery, tasty, cute and convenient. When I want cheese, I get the really good stuff, but only get it a few times a year.

I have the app ("Calorific") which shows you photos of 200 calories of different foods. I like that it compares completely different foods side-by-side almost.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    One of the lovely thing about maintenance is getting some good cheese in your life. I disagree about low-fat. I LIKE the fat. I'm just eating a lot less of it. No fat yogurt yes. No fat brie? What's the point!

Calorific sounds like a great app.