Advice please ...

Options
ok so I joined yesterday and the automatic calculator of calorie intake said to eat 1700 calories a day if I want to lose half a pound a week... I thought putting half a pound rather than more would make it easier to continue in the long haul without feeling starved. Yesterday I decided I would just eat normally to see what my usual intake of calories was ... I was shocked by how much I ate the end total was 3500 calories, now I'm thinking that perhaps if I record a normal full week of my usual intake and then add the total together divide it by seven and gradually take 100 calories a week away until I reach there recommended intake that I will still lose weight and perhaps find this easier with my lack of willpower than trying to drop so many calories in one go... What do you think? Is this wise?

Replies

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This isn't a race. While most people just jump right in to a calorie deficit, your plan might work quite well for you. It could be very eye-opening to realize what the calorie load is for some of your favorite foods.

However, this will only be accurate if you weigh and measure everything.

I'm starring this thread. Maybe you could come back and let us know what you found out and how it's working for you.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd drop 100 cals a day from your current total, not drop 100 cals a week, but progress will likely be much slower than if you follow 1700 cals/day -- would that affect your motivation?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    That's not a bad approach. Often lowering calories more slowly will help you maintain instead of feeling massively deprived and binging later. It might also be a good idea to look for ways to feel 'full' on fewer calories -things like brothy soups, lots of leafy greens, making sure you balance your protein and carbs and the like. Best wishes, you can do this!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy how much we eat and we don't even know it? That's why I don't think I'll ever be able to stop counting calories. I think you should do whatever you feel best. Just remember that 3500 calories over your TDEE is one pound gained. 3500 calories under your TDEE is one pound lost. So by cutting 100 calories a week you won't see a weight loss for awhile. But if you want to do this slowly and the right way and get your eating under control first and you think this is the best way you can do this, then go for it.
  • hopeful449
    Options
    I will you keep you posted, thank you!
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Was that a normal food day? Did you eat out when you normally don't? I would track for a week & get a good idea of what you really eat. Don't average yet. I know I'm bad on Mondays but not the rest of the week. If you eat out a lot, stop and cook at home. I love Breakfast Jacks so my husband makes them at home for me & they are almost 100 calories less & taste like the real thing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thats fine. do it whatever way will work for you. I think just logging your food for a week no limits is a good way to get used to MFP and understanding what you are eating. log it all.

.5lb a week is only 250 calories a day, so if you are going to eat up to that limit then your deficit is a small one (1 chocolate bar or pkt of chips) and the margin for error is small. Accuracy on calorie logging is a big challenge and most new dieters who arent losing weight are bormally eating more than they think, so its very importnat you start out with accurate calorie counts by weighing and logging your food, so its an accurate record.

Personally id think 100 calories a week reduction from 3500 down to 1700 is too slow and will take you 18 weeks. Even at a slow introduction id be looking at taking 4 weeks to get down to my 250 calorie deficit otherwise the lack of progress would be too slow, but its whatever works for you. Maube go to maintenance in 2 weeks and then another 2 weeks to go to the 250 calorie deficit.

It will probably pay dividends if you look at what you eat rather than solely the number of calories. People try all sorts of strategies, but as its a lifestyle change, keep it simple, start to moderate with portion control, dont restrict too much, but look at switching to a healthier diet with more fruit, vegeratbles complex carbs and lean protein. That should make it easier for you to achieve the consistent calorie deficts you will need.

Its a learning process to find a straegy that works for you. Good luck.
  • hopeful449
    Options
    Yes I was thinking of doing the whole week, I wish I could say it wasn't normal ... Thanks for your advice
  • hopeful449
    Options
    Ok so I've re read all your comments and have decided it may be to slow I may lose motivation m so I have decided to drop 250 calls a day (lol gone to the other extreme now it feels like) until I reach 1700 calories a day. Fingers crossed!