Cellulite reduction help

Options
Hello, I currently workout 5-6 days a week doing weights and cardio. I split leg days and arm days up but I do spend more time on my legs due to cellulite appearance on my butt and upper back legs. It seems like I am constantly doing squats, lunges and donkey kicks to try to reduce this problem. For cardio I do interval training and Spin classes mainly. I also try hard to stay away from breads and pastas and eat lean proteins. The rest of my body keeps getting leaner and tones but not the trouble area..I am getting frustrated. I need some additional advice and/or motivation.

Replies

• pnut80
    pnut80 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    following this post, i am in the same boat! no matter what i do i cant seem to tone my butt and upper legs...cellulite is an ugly beast!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Everybody seems to want their trouble spot to lose fat first and fastest but since we can't spot reduce it can be a test of your patients. All we can do is keep working for that next lower body fat % goal. Doesn't really matter what body part it is, your butt, belly, love handles or back fat you will always have a body part you want the fat gone from first if you are carrying around a higher body fat % then your goal.

Since you are talking cellulite specifically I will just say you may want to do some medical research on that. In a nut shell though. About as good as you are gonna get at "reducing " cellulite is reducing the appearance of it through lower bf% and higher LMM.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    The reality is that cellulite appearance will differ from person to person based on genetics. You can't get rid of it (unless one opts surgery and even then some surgeries have had it look worse). You can reduce appearance by lowering overall body fat and some topical creams that temporarily camoflauge them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • N1K4CHU
    N1K4CHU Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Doing heavier deadlifts will build strength, getting those hammies to grow and burn that fat back there.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The thing that worked for me was running, running, and more running. Nothing else ever made a difference.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your weight us so this may just be a matter of needing to keep plugging along and losing fat. You can't pick and choose where it comes off. Or, if it's really cellulite, you might not be able to do much to make it totally go away. It's just there for some women, no matter how fit they are.

http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    ^^^Agreed!

Try a classic weight lifting program such as Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, AllPro Beginners, or Ice Cream Fitness. A progressive program with whole body compound lifts [such as those listed above] combined with sensible eating strategy will be your best way forward.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Ugh! I know, right?! The only thing I can suggest is that when I limit the long cardio sessions and do HIIT training in its place I tend to see better results.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    32 yo......Lipo....its not a crime against humanity. easy fast and inexpensive.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    pnut80 wrote: »
    following this post, i am in the same boat! no matter what i do i cant seem to tone my butt and upper legs...cellulite is an ugly beast!

Have you tried losing body fat ?

The fitness industry loves the word tone and use it to sell you products and keep you motivated. But what they really mean is lose fat. Your muscles do not "tone". They don't get saggy, soft, or droop. They get covered in a layer of fat. Lose the fat and your muscles will look awesome.
  • katylohmeyer
    Options
    Have you tried dry brushing? Look it up! Sounds weird but it really does help aid with getting rid of cellulite!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The reality is that cellulite appearance will differ from person to person based on genetics. You can't get rid of it (unless one opts surgery and even then some surgeries have had it look worse). You can reduce appearance by lowering overall body fat and some topical creams that temporarily camoflauge them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. It's mostly genetic.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    PedalVixen wrote: »
    Suggestion: Doing heavier deadlifts will build strength, getting those hammies to grow and burn that fat back there.
    Deadlifts are an excellent exercise, but doesn't target "fat burning" in the legs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Have you tried dry brushing? Look it up! Sounds weird but it really does help aid with getting rid of cellulite!
    You can't get "rid" of cellulite with topical approaches. While dry brushing helps to "inflame" the dermis to help reduce the look of cellulite, it's temporary.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Best things to do are:

Lose fat. Build muscle (by doing the exercises you're doing, but it takes a while). Your body fat % should decrease, lessening the effect. But largely cellulite's presence is genetic, so you have to accept a certain amount I think. Using fake tan helps disguise it a hell of a lot which will probably make you focus on it less.

But as someone who has had always had cellulite, even when very thin and as a teenager, I feel your pain. It is annoying, but we notice it on ourselves more than others notice it on us usually.
  • meyerssheila
    meyerssheila Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the comments! It keeps me feeling normal. I am going to try deadlifts along with the dry brush. I have heard of it but haven't tried it yet.