I want to start lifting

Options
Hi everyone! I have lost 47lbs (3 stone, 5lbs) so far - I now weigh 10 stone 5 lbs (still have another stone or two to lose) however I want to start lifting as I have seen people get great results from that on here! I would like some advice though as I wouldn't know where to start, what technique to use, what weight to use and what exercises to do, If someone could help me out or point in the right direction I would really appreciate it. Many thanks.

Replies

• 3blackcatz
    Options
    check your app store...search "fitness" or "exercise"...routines and techniques are included in the app. Good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Depends on what facilities/equipment you have available to you:

Barbells: Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, NROL or All Pro's will get you going.

Kettlebells: Something from the old RKC like Enter the Kettlebell would be a good place to start.

No equipment: YAYOG or Convict Conditioning.

There are other routines. But googling these should get you started...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

It's got summaries and instructions for all the lifts and videos on forms. It's a complete workout system for beginners. Ignore the fact that the writing style is targeting a younger male audience. This is a good beginner program for just about anybody. And there is a phone app you can use for tracking your weights and workouts.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

It's got summaries and instructions for all the lifts and videos on forms. It's a complete workout system for beginners. Ignore the fact that the writing style is targeting a younger male audience. This is a good beginner program for just about anybody. And there is a phone app you can use for tracking your weights and workouts.

+1 for Stronglifts! This is the lifting program I started with (with NO prior experience lifting) and would definitely recommend it :) good luck!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'll throw in my vote for StrongLifts 5x5 too. Love this program -- and also started with zero barbell experience.

I'd also recommend a couple of books to augment the program -- Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is fantastic, and New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler is also great. Both are full of really helpful information, even if you go with a different lifting program.

A few quick words of advice:

- Start slow, with low weights, and concentrate on form. You have plenty of time to add weight to the bar, and it will come on faster than you think. Take your time and lock in the form. You won't regret it.

- Ignore your scale for the first month or so. Weight lifting often causes some water retention when you start and it can take a few weeks to even out.

- Definitely take your measurements and your "before" pictures, then update once a month or so. They're great ways to see how you're progressing, even if the scale isn't moving.

Good luck!
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone on your replies!! Very helpful, I am going to buy some equipment tomorrow and research stronglifts! Thank you!
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Oh I am looking at starting stronglifts 5x5 !

Those who did it, how long did you do it for?
    've ordered New Rules of Lifting for Woman from my library . Could I start with stronglifts then go onto this??? just so I don't get bored with the same programme.
  • sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    YouTube videos are useful to learn proper technique. I like the Buff Dude channel:

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    There is a better explanation of the Stronglifts program on this site:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/560459/stronglifts-5x5-summary/p1