Gluten Free

Options
Hey! I've been gluten free for about five months now (for health reasons) and have been doing great! Anyone that is also gluten free feel free to add me so we can share recipes and tips (:

Replies

• jjule11
    Options
    Hello I saw your post about being gluten free and tomorrow I start day 1! I currently have PCOS and am trying gluten free because of my weight and also I was told I am gluten sensitive. Im not sure how to add you but Im curious how the 5 months of you being gluten free has been so far?
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Gluten free for over two years for health reasons as well (developed celiac disease due to thyroid disease). My husband will eat whatever I make, so it's been a little easier when it comes to cooking dinner. Although sometimes when he thinks he's being nice and sneaking a little treat into the grocery cart, he doesn't think to look if it's gluten free or not. Like yesterday as we were putting the bags in the car I saw this unfamiliar bag in with the groceries. I picked it up and said "what's this?" He said he thought I might like it. It's a bag of brownie brittle. First ingredient: Whole wheat flour. I reminded him that he can't just pick up things for me because I need to read the labels and told him I hope he enjoys the brownie brittle, because I can't. Although I try to chalk up his forgetfulness to his short term memory problems from a stroke he had in 2002.

When I want to try something new for dinner, I first search for gluten free recipes, although I have been able to successfully adapt other recipes to gluten free. A good gluten free cookbook is also a plus. I like Delight Gluten Free cookbook. I make my own hamburger rolls from the recipe in it and tonight I'm making Brioche rolls to go along with the veal stew that's in the crockpot. That one was easy to adapt because I only had to substitute the 2 tablespoons of regular flour for coating the veal cubes with Gluten Free all purpose flour. Having a good stand mixer really comes in handy too. And it was a great excuse to finally splurge on a KitchenAid one, since I didn't have one already.

Fast food is definitely off limits, but since I gave that up in 2009 it hasn't been an issue for me. Pizza was one of the hardest but I found a local pizzeria that has gluten free pizza crust (in a small town that was a miracle). So I do get to indulge in pizza I don't have to make myself. Ronzoni, Barilla and Schar make pretty good gluten free pasta. And Amy's Gluten Free Cheddar Broccoli baked macaroni is pretty good too. I usually have to go to different stores to get gluten free food because my local grocery store is limited. When I have to opportunity to go to a larger city, I hit up the Wegmans because they have a larger variety of gluten free frozen food. I tend to stock up then.

Feel free to add me if you want. I make it a point to collect recipes, because I get bored with the same old same old all the time and am always interested in trying new ones.
  • Beckylynn380
    Beckylynn380 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We are grain free here, which obviously by default makes us gluten free. The biggest trap with gluten free is all the junk food options that are out there. All of the processed gluten free foods you will find at the store are not, by any means, good for you or "diet friendly." My best defense is home cooking! I love Danielle Walker from Against All Grain. Her recipes are not only delicious, but easy, and she helps me stay on track. Good luck, and I hope ditching wheat makes you feel as good as it has made me feel! :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I am Gluten free as well for the past 2 years due to Celiacs disease. There was a thread on here with some really good Gluten free foods.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Me. I noticed last time I let my diet get sugared I got depressed, then I added gluten in, and I was mega depressed. Good enough reason for me to avoid! Plus I can demolish a whole loaf of bread in a few hours. It's sad. And gross. And I wake myself up in the middle of the night after a bread feast and run myself out of the room. I bet that falls under the TMI category, oops!
  • tdc8557
    tdc8557 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another GF devotee here. I've started relying on vegetables as crusts and bases for foods. I got a spiralizer for Christmas and have used it every week-zucchini pasta is delicious, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like zucchini in its "normal" form. I sliced up eggplant and used it as the crust for mini pizzas a few months ago as well. Tonight I'm going to try a cauliflower crust for my pizza (I love pizza, what can I say?).

I've been Gf for almost 4 years. Eventually eating Udis and Schar gets old. I recommend looking at Whole Foods to start. I know it's expensive but they typically have the biggest selection of most chain stores. Otherwise look into local all natural stores. Before I moved across the country, there were two great stores that exclusively sold GF food. God I miss them.

Anyway feel free to add me. I've been there, done that with rookie mistakes, failed attempts at making my own GF food, and the other fun stuff that comes with the diet!
  • jasmang
    jasmang Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just learned in November that I am gluten-sensitive! It's been interesting to learn how to deal with it, and awesome to know how to NOT feel like garbage every day! I used to make a lot of homemade breads, but now I'm eating a lot more veggies, which is good. I'm trying to learn how to make gluten-free breads but it's tough!
  • jjennc1
    jjennc1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free due to Celiac's disease for the past 10 years. Would love to share recipes.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    We eat gluten free here due to health reasons. Feel free to add me. :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me as well. I've been gluten free for about three years due to migraines. No gluten, no migraines any more! :)

Just curious- are any of you concerned about using some of the gluten free flours which contain rice? I've read a lot about the arsenic in rice recently and wondered if I should be watching my consumption of rice products.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm GF for over a year for health reasons as well. Feel free to add me.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Also GF. 6 years ago my dr told me that I was insulin resistant and suggested going gluten free.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    We are grain free here, which obviously by default makes us gluten free. The biggest trap with gluten free is all the junk food options that are out there. All of the processed gluten free foods you will find at the store are not, by any means, good for you or "diet friendly." My best defense is home cooking! I love Danielle Walker from Against All Grain. Her recipes are not only delicious, but easy, and she helps me stay on track. Good luck, and I hope ditching wheat makes you feel as good as it has made me feel! :)

+1 for Against All Grain.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Ohh I Love against all grains!!! She has sooooo many amazing recipes!!!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    Just curious- are any of you concerned about using some of the gluten free flours which contain rice? I've read a lot about the arsenic in rice recently and wondered if I should be watching my consumption of rice products.

We've been much more watchful about it - in some of the celiac forums, like the one at celiac.com, there was a lot of discussion about it. Some good information there, actually.

We ended up going grain free, though, so that kind of took care of that, LOL.

I'm one of two celiacs in my immediate family, with three generations of celiacs now, so we trade recipes a lot back and forth.

Actually, for anybody looking for a new flatbread to try, you might like to check out recipes for the French chickpea based flatbread called Socca. Super easy to make, almost no ingredients, too, so pretty inexpensive.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    GF here too now for 2 months & down 11.5 lbs :)
    I love it. I feel so much better. The bloat in my tummy is starting to finally go down with this lifestyle change. Going GF has helped me a lot!!
    Would love some GF friends!!
  • lyndseyfinn180
    lyndseyfinn180 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have found that Pinterest has a great wealth of gluten free recipes and tips. This is a cookie recipe that my family loves! http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2012/gluten-free-double-chocolate-cookie-recipe/
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    GF since the summer of 2014
  • Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Grain, sugar, starch and dairy free. No processed food either. I mostly eat whole foods instead of making recipes, but I made one of my favorites today - roasted brussel sprouts, pumpkin and thin sliced jalepanos (tossed in lemon juice and olive oil prior to roasting) tossed with a vinaigrette, pomegranate, salt, and pepper. You can add some shaved parmesan if you like.
  • beccaboo2001
    beccaboo2001 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just started gluten-free on Saturday - so I'm on day 4. So far so good, but always looking for more ideas and looking for recipes!!