10000 steps...what does this 'look' like?

Options
Hi - I do have a pedometer however not sure if it works properly.

So, those of you that try to do this daily I want to know what/how long
it takes you to accomplish this.
Thanks!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    My son counts steps. I believe 10k steps is about 4 miles. So that's prob 1-2 hours walking daily. For most people it includes a porposful walk/run.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes me 60 mins running to get 10k steps. Or 90 mins walking. ☺
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You could count the steps. But, if you don't think that you can keep that straight past a hundred (I can't without a pencil & paper) here is the math. First you have to know how long your step is. The Army in the 1960s used a 30 inch step or 2.5 feet. That is pretty close for most people and that is how they kept troops marching in formation. Let's assume you have a 2.5 foot step. There are 5,280 feet in a mile.

1. Dividing 5,280 by 2.5 yields 2,112 steps to a mile.
    2. Dividing 10,000 steps by 2,112 yields 4.734848 ad infinitum miles for 10,000 steps.
    3. Unless you are using a high school track or live in an area using section line streets and roads you will probably be guessing on the number of miles you walk so being that precise is ridiculous.
    4. Something on the order of 4.75 miles to 10,000 steps is reasonably accurate.

Next, assume that you walk at MFPs moderate rate of 3.0 miles per hour.
    1. 4.75 divided by 3.0 is 1.583333 ad infinitum hours.
    2. 1.58 multiplied by 60 minutes in a hour is 94.80 minutes.
    3. Round to 95 minutes.

Now if you saunter at 2.0 miles per hour it will take 2.375 hours or 142.5 minutes.

If you are a really fast walker and walk away from all your friends, or have to deliberately slow yourself down when walking with them, you might walk at 3.5 miles per hour. 10,000 steps will take 1.357 hours or 81.42 minutes.

The MFP moderate pace of 3.0 miles per hour takes a deliberate effort on my part. Depending on the outside temperature (I usually don't wear a jacket) I am sweating between 15 minutes and 30 minutes into my walk. If I push it I can walk at 3.3 miles per hour for a couple hours. My wife typically walks at 3.5 miles per hour, but she walks away from everybody. I saw a ridiculous article in the NY Times several years ago that assumed a normal 5 mph walk. That is 12 minutes per mile which is jogging, unless you are a race walker.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    About 5 miles
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    For me, it is approx 90 mins walk. I work a desk job but I walk to work which is an hour away. My gym is half way so I stop there for some strength training which adds a little from the detour. Then low step count at work. I bus home and walk from the bus stop is about 10 minutes. I usually hit 10,000 steps when I get close to home. This is winter months when I am less active of course, but still able to get that 10,000.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    About 4.25 miles for me. I'm on my feet all day at my job, but sometimes I'm not moving so much. Today I hit 10,000 after 6.5 hours or so. Yesterday, working the same amount of hours, my entire day only came to 9300 steps.

If I'm off work and have a lazy day at home, then I take a long walk to hit it.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    yeah, i think its around 5 miles. i walk to and from work every day which equates to around this.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I avg 100 steps per minute which translates to 6000 steps every hour. That's when I'm actively walking, not just wandering around doing my day-to-day stuff.
  • Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yep, I jog at least 10,000 steps a day which is about 5-6 miles. Usually takes me about an hour of jogging.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    actually, i just checked by walking around the city. it's only 4.5 miles for 10,000 steps.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    10,000 steps for an average stride is about 5 miles. I get about 5000 steps, average, on a 40 minute walk. I work out in the morning before I get to work. I have an office job, but it is a rare day when I have not hit 10,000 by 9:00 a.m. I have a fit bit and I do everything the "long" way. Park as far from the door as possible, take the long way every time I get up from my desk, walk up and down the stairs whenever I go by them. It adds up. For the past year, I have been getting 18K - 22K daily, with a few days over 30K. All things are possible, and, where there is the will, there is a way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    shartran wrote: »
    Hi - I do have a pedometer however not sure if it works properly.

So, those of you that try to do this daily I want to know what/how long
    it takes you to accomplish this.
    Thanks!
    I usually hit it at about 7:00pm most days (get up about 7am), but I'm still up and around till 12:00am, so I hit 15,000+ each day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    it takes me roughly an hour & a half to hit 10,000 steps or thereabouts. that's walking at 3 mph.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It depends what your daily routine is as well as your stride length. I'm short, so 10,000 steps is about 4 miles. I teach on a big campus and manage to get a good chunk of it just walking around campus during my work day. On my off days, I have to take a purposeful walk, or I might put the steps in during an aerobic class. If you are sedentary, you probably need to walk an hour to an hour and a half a day.
  • strive58
    Options
    I found a way to work this in pretty painlessly. I walk for 25 to 30 minutes on my lunch break, I walk about 10 to 15 in the afternoon for a break. During the day I get up from my desk and walk the long way to the washroom or to get water from the cooler almost every hour. When I get home I move around to make dinner,house stuff etc and take my dog for a 20 minute stroll. Most days I make 10,000 or close to it.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is about 5 miles for me. I try to walk 5 miles on the treadmill most days.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's 4 miles for me. I've hit 10,000 a couple times (like today!). I went for a 3 mile (1 hour) walk with the kids, and I cleaned and then for the last 500 I danced around while watching TV.
    Another day I did it by walking around and around at the office while reviewing documents; walking while waiting for my clients (10 minutes hear and there); did 45 minutes of cleaning at home, and had a 20 minute 'dance party' with the kids. That was a fun day because I didn't do one long walk.

A different day, I logged 4000 calories going up and down every aisle while shopping in Walmart, and while working from home I made a make shift standing desk and "danced" in place (walking in place is too boring for me) while working at the computer all day.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 foot step ie just over 8 steps to 5 yards but I'm also really short today looks kinda like 5-6 miles but it's also a nearly 20k step day.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,518 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    10,000 steps for me is roughly 4.5 miles. If I walk full out, I can do this in under 1:20.

I work retail part-time at a big box sporting goods store and any day I work I easily break 10k steps. If I don't work I seldom do.

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For me 10K steps is usually:
    -Walking two blocks to the bus.
    - Walking three blocks from bus to office.
    - Walking around my office throughout the day (big office, with pantry on a different floor, etc.)
    - Running an errand after work
    - Walking home from the gym (.9 miles)

That usually puts me at 10-11K, so it's not outrageous, and some days I'm definitely (way) under—especially on late nights at work where I take a car service to and from.