Missing Bacon or Sausage?

Options
jr4fl
jr4fl Posts: 10 Member
I have found that my fat % is on the high end so I am attempting to avoid breakfast meats which are typically high in fat. I found some spices that meet the craving - I have found that fennel seeds make me think of Italian sausage and I have been adding them to my morning breakfast mix.
- I cook for 1 so I don't like to dirty lots of pans.
Please use fresh if you are so inclined, I have a disability for using my hands for cutting and chopping.
I take a can of no salt added sliced potatoes, add frozen seasoning blend onion and pepper ( which I typically put into the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
Then I heat the pan, drain the potato slices and since I use a ceramic pan, no oil is required. I add mixed pepper from my pepper grinder, sea salt, molasses bacon seasoning from McCormick and fennel seeds (sometimes I grind them, sometimes use whole). I then cook to browning and remove 2/3 from pan (leaving 1 serving. I then scramble 2 eggs and since I like to just use one pan, I mix them into the potatoes - many would prefer to plate the potatoes. I also add spinach to this for some flavor changes. I find it is balanced enough to keep me full to lunch and I tend to not eat or crave the sweet pastries often brought into our office by co workers.

I find when I want some bacon, I add the molasses bacon seasoning to a soup as well and I also do this with the fennel. Hope this helps someone else who craves high fat meats.
:D

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with fat? This will definitely not fix a sausage or bacon craving. LOL
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat bacon just about every day. I'm losing fine.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I avoided eating meats for various reasons for 26 years. Now I'm on a keto diet and eating all kinds of bacon and sausage (and losing weight - go figure).

When I was meatless, I used "Gimme Lean" veg sausage that comes in a chub pack. It fries up quite nicely. I also used Lightlife smoky tempeh strips for a bacon substitute. I made vegan BLTs with it and brought them to parties. They would typically disappear before I could get one for myself.
    When I dropped wheat, I went with Trader Joe's soy chorizo. It's basically just spiced crumbled tofu and mixes well with eggs and/or potatoes. Best of its kind if you ask me. Some of the others are so sticky and gross, like tofu pulp. There's also some vegan "sausage patty" product they sell in the local co-op here in Texas that's pretty decent, but def lacking.

I would recommend any of the above for folks concerned with leaving out fat and keeping flavour.

-T.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Try making your own sausage crumbles from lean ground turkey. Just add spices for the style of sausage you want to use. I have made Italian sausage and chorizo. Try this it was good. doctoroz.com/recipe/total-10-turkey-breakfast-sausage

Also roast smoked turkey around asparagus spears in the oven. It crisps up and has the smoke and crispness of bacon. I use a recipe from Ellie Kreiger. foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/smoked-turkey-wrapped-asparagus-recipe.html

Also smoke paprika adds a lot of smoke flavor to foods like bacon would.

I should add I still eat sausage and bacon too. Everything in moderation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    One can eat fat and still lose weight. It's still about calories in and out, so just don't eat a whole package of bacon or sausage. Just a couple.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brendahughes37679
    brendahughes37679 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    great advice, thanks!
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm eating what we raised other than staples such as flour and sugar. Since we raised hogs and chickens, it was pork and chicken. I love bacon, ham, sausage and real cracklings (salted diced pork fat with the skin on). However, I eat very little cured meat, primarily due to the sodium. I will have bacon or sausage for breakfast every other week and ham in a soup about once a month. As others have said, fat in moderation is not bad. The same can be said for carbs and protein.