My sister is jealous of my (not so great) weight loss?

Options
Hi so I'm the youngest in the family but unfortunately also the fattest. My sister seems to be jealous of the few pounds ive lost so far though? I've only just properly started but she's gained weight since last year and now it's like shes making it into a competition. I'm still WAY fatter than her.

The other day my dad was just joking and said to her 'ooh soon your sister will be thinner than you' and I quite enjoyed that cause I would love to be thin and pretty, but she got pissed off and stopped eating.

Now shes like starving herself, and only eating half to a whole sandwich a day. It's horrible. Why isn't she happy for me? It's not like I've actually achieved anything yet, only a few pounds.

Today she actually accused me of taking diet pills! I don't know what to do. It makes me feel like crap because for once I want to be seen as the 'youngest' kid and not the fattest. I dunno. I just thought that she wouldn't be like this.

I don't want her to hate me but I think she will start to.

My eldest sister is happy for me (shes 25, and also the skinniest), but my 22 year old sister isnt.

What do I do?

Replies

• hiram121
    hiram121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't stop what your doing, seems like your doing a great job! As for your sister, she will come around. Don't give her a reaction either. And never Give Up on our goal!!
  • emilee974
    emilee974 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Some people are jealous... There is nothing to do against that, it is just the way they are... Maybe you can talk to her, ask her why she reacts like this..?
    I think she is not self confident and she is afraid you become prettier than her because you were always "the fattest one" and not "the prettiest" :/ (I guess, I don't know you ^^)
    She has a few pounds to loose and seeing you loose some pounds too is difficult for her !
    Go and speak with her, maybe you can show her MFP and you can have a shared objective ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You're all behaving poorly.

Your dad shouldn't be comparing your weights.

You shouldn't be motivated by besting your sister in poundage.

She should be ignoring both of you.

MYOB and prosper.
  • brendahughes37679
    brendahughes37679 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    just focus on your goal and keep going! there will always be haters (sorry it had to be your sister) but you need to only think about YOU!
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    People react so strangely to your weight loss. Some are happy for you. Others want to know what you are doing (eating less basically). Some don't say anything. I did a little experiment. I said to some difficult people in my life "Oh, have you lost weight?" They said "Yea." But they never came back and said "Hey, look at you!." Some people just can't stand it when others succeed. LOL. Haters gonna hate.

Why do you care what your sister thinks? Because weight is important to your Dad? The whole situation as you describe sounds really unhealthy. Maybe less family time would work best for you.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You can not control how others think and feel nor how they react. Just keep doing what you're doing for yourself. You can only voice your concerns for your sister starving herself but she is probably not ready to listen yet. Do not let anyone derail you just because you feel bad for them.

If you feel comfortable talking to your dad, you might mention that although you know he was probably joking or did not mean anything by it, that his comment has caused trouble. Often people do not understand what their words do to others.

Best of luck to you
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Let her be jealous. She's an adult and is going to have to learn how to act like one. If she's unhappy with her own weight then she needs to do something about it. But you can't do anything about it and you're not responsible for how she feels or what she does. At most you can encourage her to maybe go for a walk with you, or maybe make a meal together that will fit your calorie goals. Other than that, let her be.

You do you. Let her worry about herself.