Bridesmaids dress sizes SUCK!!!!

Options
I am standing up in my sister-in-law's wedding in June and we went dress shopping yesterday. Of course I had to get measured and I thought I had mentally prepared myself for the size they would put me in. I figured it would be an 18 since I currently wear a 16 and I am about 8 pounds heavier than the last wedding I was in and that dress was a 16. I was not prepared to be fitted into a size 20w. I know those stupid dresses run small usually, but really???? This sucks. At least they didn't charge me extra for plus size, I guess.

Replies

• jporter1183
    jporter1183 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    They definitely run small!! I am usually a size 10/12 and both bridesmaid dresses I was fitted for were a size 14/16. I think they do it on purpose just to be cruel! Ignore the size number, don't let it get you down. It's ridiculous how the sizes run. You know your true size in everything other than a bridesmaid dress! You will look fabulous in it no matter what the size label says. Better yet, do what I did and cut the size label off :smile:
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I once just gave my measurements and was given a size 20 when I usually wore a 14/16. I have huge hips so that's where the number came from but when I got it, I could have fit at least two of me in it. Bridesmaid dresses are not a reflection of anything.
  • skater5
    skater5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bridesmaid dress sizes are crazy. They follow an archaic system of sizing, and for some reason the industry never changed it.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    skater5 wrote: »
    Bridesmaid dress sizes are crazy. They follow an archaic system of sizing, and for some reason the industry never changed it.

You mean they didn't follow the trend of vanity sizing? :huh:
  • score45609
    score45609 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The sizes are crazy and the dresses are usually ugly :D
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    score45609 wrote: »
    The sizes are crazy and the dresses are usually ugly :D
    Lol!! So true! It's like the dress makers are saying, "How can we make people feel worse about having to pay $200 for an ugly dress that they'll never wear again? I know! Let's make the sizes bigger than they actually are!"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to why this is upsetting.