Warmup and cool down - why?

Options
Can someone tell me why warmup and cool down are important?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Warm-up gradually increased the flow of blood (oxygen, nutrients) to the muscles. That way they are prepared and able to do the hard work you are about to demand. Trying to do too much too hard without immediate access to proper fuel puts a strain on them that can build up to injury. It's also a *literal* warm-up, increasing temperature, which allows your muscles to function better and at a wider range of motion. (The heart is also a muscle.)

A cool-down phase allows your heart rate to slow back to normal without totally crashing, which can cause dizziness and other fun.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're doing, sometimes it doesn't add much, but if I'm doing a sprint intervals or tempo session then it's worth lossening up and improving flexibility around the joints.

I generally find that the first ten minutes or so of a run are harder work as I loosen up and get into the rhythm of the session, so if I was to go straight into a harder workout I wouldn't get the most from it.

I find if I don't relax and ease down over about 10 minutes then I'll cramp. After my LSD it'll take me about 40 minutes, easing down the pace, stretching then keeping active for a while before I shower.
  • bhuggett3
    bhuggett3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lactic acid!
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing.

For high impact sports like contact sport, running, vigorous swimming etc warm up is essential as it gradually gets your muscles and ligaments warm and loose, essential for stretching which helps prevent injury.

For lower impact sports like cycling, some gym workouts etc it is not quite as critical but still worthwhile doing - warmups prepare your body for high intensity workouts.

Warm down helps relax your muscles, push through some of the blood which is in them, and flush out byproducts of the workout.

Mentally - warmup gets you in the zone, warm down signals the end of the session.