Gaining weight due to doctor prescribed steroids :(

Options
I've had a chronic ear infection for almost a month. This past week the doctor prescribed a steroid and now I've gained 4lbs in two days. Has anyone else experienced this? Very discouraging...

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'll bet it is water weight and water weight will disappear when you are finished taking the steroid.
  • deb4123
    Options
    Steroids are a problem, with weight gain. My husband and mother in law took them. I would think the dr. would give you some thing else. Soon as you stop, you will loss the weight you are retaining. Good luck Deb
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're on prednisone (or any corticosteroid) water weight gain is inevitable. You're not piling on fat.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    If you're on prednisone (or any corticosteroid) water weight gain is inevitable. You're not piling on fat.

^This. I've been on prednisone since April, and at very high doses, too. Though I'm now down to 15mg from 95mg. There's a lot of water retention with them. They also alter your appetite to make you feel more hungry, but you won't gain any actual fat on them unless you give in to this and overeat.
  • lyricrebecca
    lyricrebecca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Update: I finished the prednisone and after a week the weight did come off. Thanks for all your words of encouragement.