Is it true that you loose weight from the face first?

Options
Well, I haven't noticed much differences in my body fat & have been controlling my calorie intake for nearly 3 weeks now.

My biggest issue is my thighs, buttocks & stomach I don't see any reduction in the fatness of them. Will I only start to see changes a few months down the line?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No, it's not necessarily true that you lose weight from the face first. It's going to vary from person to person and you can't control it, so it's best to focus on the process and do the things you need to be doing to cause fat loss, because beyond that there's nothing you can do about it.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I definitely do. Especially when I change my diet. I get bloat-face when I eat junk. I actually look younger when I eat cookies and ice cream, but I feel like crap so it's not worth it.
  • Mikeyloye
    Mikeyloye Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Mine seems to be lost on my face and belly first.

I have never been below a certain weight historically so I am paying attention this time
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well you see yourself every day so I would suggest taking a photo of yourself every other day or once in a week and later compare them. I noticed the muscles from lifting so much easier than my weight loss.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    While I need to lose most from the same areas as you, I lose from my waist first. When at my best, I have an exaggerated hourglass figure-- ideal waist/ hip differential is supposed to be 10 inches, but mine is 14!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the person.

It's hard to see the difference yourself over a short period like 3 weeks. Take photos and measurements and be patient. I'd go through long periods where I felt like I looked the same and then discover I was much smaller by measurement or could wear some jeans I'd been afraid to try on. Seeing it in the mirror tended to lag, since I look at myself every day.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I definitely lose in the face first! People started commenting on my weight loss two weeks in...which is motivating. I only wish I'd lose in the waist area faster - after a 13 pound loss I notice no difference in the way my jeans fit:(
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost from everywhere. The face and neck might be more noticeable.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It depends. For me it was very noticeable, even after just 9 lbs. (that's when I took the second half of my profile pic). I had coworkers telling me after 2 weeks that my face looked skinnier.
    However your face can fluctuate without losing any weight, so I wouldn't really base anything on that. And how much weight do you actually have on your face? 0.01 lb ? :) Eventually it all shows on the face and the neck.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but my face always slims up first...followed by my chest unfortunately.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    For me yes, but everyone's different
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me yes too. Face and waist were the first. When I see people I haven't seen for a few months they're always like "you've lost loads of weight!" Whilst stroking their jaw line with the back of their hands! Yes my double chin has gone!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jjasmelon wrote: »
    My biggest issue is my thighs, buttocks & stomach I don't see any reduction in the fatness of them. Will I only start to see changes a few months down the line?

Have you taken measurements of those areas or are you just judging by appearance?

I don't think my face looks dramatically different yet but my neck, waist, hip, thigh and calf measurements are smaller. I'm not sure if someone looking at me would notice but they are getting smaller.