Need Advice - Alcohol

Options
Hi, I started with MFP on the 14th Jan and have currently lost 9lb. I'm hoping to loose another 14lb by the end of March. I know it will be difficult but hopefully I will achieve it with MFP's help. The only problem is that I have a few parties to attend in the next few weeks/month and wondered what are the best alcoholic drinks to have that won't cause me to put on too many calories. I haven't touched a drop through the whole of Jan and I feel a lot more energised and healthier. I'm usually a Lager drinker which I know adds the calories, so what will be an alternative drink to keep the pounds off.

Replies

• andyajc2015
    andyajc2015 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well done for staying off the beer
    In been a party but made sure my total calories for day was within my limit
    Bitter has less John Smiths 107 per 440 can, I only had 3 all evening and not every day like before (and then some)
    I drink a lot if diet ginger beer now non alcoholic
  • deva110913
    Options
    There is the obvious light beer but I don't think anyone really likes that. A serving of vodka and cranberry has 180 cals and lots of sugar! A shot of vodka has 64 cals,if you mix it with 10 cal soda or crystal light, you can have a cocktail for under 80 cals.

As far as the lager, if you really want it, modify your other cals for the day to allow for it. An egg white omelette with spinach and garlic is under 100 cals, lots of protein and really fills you up. A couple of those and you will be full throughout the day and have cals for the lager.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet coke has about 80 cals.
  • jpenman2015
    jpenman2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I guess it's about controlling you calories for the day and then being able to drink a little at the parties. A few of my mates drink Bitter so may join them when drinking pints. As for the shorts can't believe it's less than 100 cal per drink. Thanks once again for your advice.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try to strike a balance between achieving you calorie goals and having a laugh. If you like beer just go ahead and enjoy the night without worrying too much. However, try to offset the inevitable calorie increase by burning off a deficient in the week beforehand. A good night on the rip (say 10 pints) will probably add approximately 1800 - 2000 calories (average of 180 cal/pint or so). If you are eating out along with the beer, try to gauge what that will equate to and take it all into consideration in the week up to going out and you can enjoy your night relatively guilt-free. Bottom line is, a night on the beer is a luxury, but unless you're planning on doing the cover of Mens Health anytime soon, relax, enjoy it and pay it back.
  • TraciAnnn
    Options
    Vodka
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I would just stay off alcohol all together.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    I would just stay off alcohol all together.

This! Of course if you look at my food diary, you will see that I still drink wine. Although, I have found that the times I drink I end up eating things I hadn't planned on.