Exercise After Overeating and Net Calories

Options
Last night I went out for my birthday and feasted like a king! I estimate I over-ate for the day by about 850 calories. I woke up this morning, weighed myself in and I was 4 pounds over my normal daily weight! Today I'm focusing on getting back on my normal eating schedule (I'm simply trying to maintain weight at this point; not lose or gain) and I went to the gym and ran on a treadmill for an hour, burning about 800 calories.

My question is will the 800 calories I burned today counter-act the over eating from yesterday and get me back into my normal weight range in the next day or two?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat 14000 cals above maintenance, you haven't gained 4lb of fat, it's just water. You don't need to 'counter act' it, just eat 100 cals less for a couple of days to even it out, and drink plenty of water!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is better to start each day new.
    And the scale does not exactly work like that. Sugar and carbs from the restaurant can add to the scale and might last a couple of days.

• aarnal01
    aarnal01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tavistock! I didn't include my weight gain to suggest that I over ate by 14000 calories; I understand that it's mostly due to sodium intake increase and water weight. I'm not freaking out about it at all( it's February after all), I guess my question is more curiosity as to whether exercise calories burned the next day can directly offset a day or two of overeating and minimize fat gains or if there are greater considerations at play.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    aarnal01 wrote: »
    Thanks Tavistock! I didn't include my weight gain to suggest that I over ate by 14000 calories; I understand that it's mostly due to sodium intake increase and water weight. I'm not freaking out about it at all( it's February after all), I guess my question is more curiosity as to whether exercise calories burned the next day can directly offset a day or two of overeating and minimize fat gains or if there are greater considerations at play.

Just out of interest, what has it being February got to do with anything?
  • aarnal01
    Options
    Just out of interest, what has it being February got to do with anything?

I'm a rock climber and strength-to-weight ratio plays a big role in performance. In the wintertime I'm relegated to training indoors and the focus is on getting stronger for the next climbing season so I don't have to be as strict with watching my weight as I am in the spring/summer/fall.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    On one hand, calories out > calories in over time leads to weight loss. A lot of people find it's a great strategy to put in a little extra time at the gym if they're planning on a big night out, or after said big night.

On the other, it's REALLY hard--basically impossible--to outexercise a bad diet. It's why a good chunk of marathoners gain weight during training. Another note, if the 800 was the treadmill readout and not something you've calculated based on your weight and distance run, it's probably on the high side.

One night? Awesome; glad you had a blast; it'll all shake out. Repeated occurrences...might want to check yourself.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The Toad said it all, but 850 calories is c 1/4lb. You arent going to notice that. I treat it as though calories burned counteract calories eaten, assuming they are accurate, but tbh I dont worry too much about it. You did a good job repairing most of the overshoot. See what happens.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You gained water weight, it's also very unlikely that you burned 800 calories running on the treadmill for an hour.
  • aarnal01
    Options
    Cool thanks everyone! Yeah I know that the treadmill estimates can be way off. I ran 1 hour at a 8:00/mile pace + 5 minutes warm up and cool down. Treadmill showed 900 calories burned. Adding it in MFP showed closer to 800 so I just went with the lower number.