How many grams are in a cup?

Options
When I looked up how many grams are in a cup, I was told 227. Then when I look at a food's serving size on a package, the serving size is a cup but the gram weight might be 227 or it might not. Which weight should I go by?

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Gram is a unit of weight, cup a unit of volume. The question does not compute.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Cup is volume, grams are weight. It depends what you are measuring.
    http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions/grams/gram-conversions
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    when it's listed on the container, I go by the container's grams.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Go to Google and type in XXX cups to grams. Conversions for most foods are available online.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    These are 2 different things. A cup of milk will not weigh the same as a cup of nuts. You'll get inaccurate calorie counts. Measure liquids, weigh solids :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It depends on the food. The package should say "serving size: 1 cup (227 g)" or whatever. Go by that.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    These are 2 different things. A cup of milk will not weigh the same as a cup of nuts. You'll get inaccurate calorie counts. Measure liquids, weigh solids :)

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

The only thing that weighs the same as it measures is water. 1g = 1ml (or in the imperial system, 1 ounce by weight = 1 fluid ounce) Everything else has a specific gravity different than water so a cup of oil will weigh less than a cup of water, but a cup of salt water will weigh more than a cup of plain water. Solids cannot be accurately measured, they must be weighed.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Look at the package - it will often give a cup measure followed by a gram measure in parentheses. Measure your servings by the gram unless it is a liquid.
  • pmanney
    pmanney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Expanding on the answers above, the number of grams to a cup depends on several factors, including the type of food.

Imagine a cup of salad pieces: there's a lot of air in between the pieces. Let's say it weighs 75g. Chop that cupful in a juicer, and you'd need to add more juiced lettuce to get a cup (let's say another 75g, for a total of 150g.)

A cup of chili would weigh more than a cup of whipped cream, as the chili is denser.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It depends on the food. The package should say "serving size: 1 cup (227 g)" or whatever. Go by that.

This
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    It seems that everyone has already given the answer - each food weighs differently. Weight it.
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

This
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    pmanney wrote: »
    Expanding on the answers above, the number of grams to a cup depends on several factors, including the type of food.

Imagine a cup of salad pieces: there's a lot of air in between the pieces. Let's say it weighs 75g. Chop that cupful in a juicer, and you'd need to add more juiced lettuce to get a cup (let's say another 75g, for a total of 150g.)

A cup of chili would weigh more than a cup of whipped cream, as the chili is denser.
    Reminds me of this old philosophy story. Warning of incoming schmaltz....

A philosophy professor stood before his class and wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks.

He asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was.

So the professor picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly and the pebbles rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They said it was.

Then the professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up all the remaining holes. He asked once more if the jar was full. This time the students were sure and responded with a unanimous "YES!"

The professor then produced two cans of beer and poured their entire contents into the jar -- effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "This jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that, if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued "there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness: play with your children; look after your health; take your partner out dancing - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. The rest is just sand."

One of the students asked what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, as everyone has said, the two do not correlate. It would be like asking how many grams in a centimetre or inch. Completely depends on the individual item being weighed. An example I used for a friend was that, depending on how much I packed it in, a cup of grated cheese could hold anywhere from 75g to 180g.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    How many acres in a ton?