protien drinks

Options
manny_bee
manny_bee Posts: 62 Member
so...my cousin's husband works at a vitamin wold, and i was discussing my journey to hotness with him. he said i should get slow releasing protein and drink it before i go to bed. because it will release as i sleep and my body will feed off the protein instead of my muscle (because apparently since your body still needs to sustain itself it eats off your muscles as you sleep). Has anyone else heard this or if not do you believe it's true or bunk. I dont want to sabotage all the work i have been doing by ingesting something that will cause me to gain weight.

Replies

• sushilicious
    Options
    Casein protein vs whey protein. Casein is the slower acting one. You don't really need to buy a casein protein (because it's the most abundant type you take in normally for food) unless you don't get that much protein in ya then go for it I guess. I like the optimum nutrition brand for taste/cost. G'luck on that journey to hotness ^.~
  • Bighank7752
    Bighank7752 Posts: 47
    Options
    Unfortunayely it is not true. It is a claim a company used to make about losing weight while you sleep. The truth is eat three squares a day and get your exercise. That is the solution.
  • sabrinaaitchison
    sabrinaaitchison Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would drink it before bed. Post work out would be best. It is true you need to be ingesting adequate protein whilst loosing weight or your body will not have any muscle left. Muscles burn more calories per pound than fat. You need the amino acids in the protien to build and sustain your muscles. Feel free to correct me anyone if this isn't correct. Protein also stays with you longer and helps feel fuller longer.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I would eat at least 3 hours before going to sleep. I drink a Vi Shake for my last meal. Check out my diary if you want
  • p0rker
    p0rker Posts: 5
    Options
    Your body will eat your muscles, but to my knowledge, it will only do that if you are under-nourished. If you eat well, and have less calories going in than what your burn during each day, you'll lose weight.

You're friend works at a store. It's goal is to sell products. Product information comes from the manufactures. They will claim all kinds of things. Take that info with a grain of salt. It's just like doctors try to pump us full of drugs and chemicals when all we really need is a little more vitamin C, or sleep, or a good cry.

Sorry, the rant was starting.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Your body will use proteins as a last resort for energy. It will use carbs and fat first. You don't have to do protein drinks at this point. Log EVERY calorie and keep at or under your goal.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    That is cassien protein. I believe it is also in milk products. Cottage cheese is a good source, You could probably get by with a glass of milk too.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    Unfortunayely it is not true. It is a claim a company used to make about losing weight while you sleep. The truth is eat three squares a day and get your exercise. That is the solution.

You should definitely eat more than 3 meals a day. That being said...casein and eating right before bed can go both ways. You don't necessarily have to buy a casein protein. You can eat some low fat cheese or cottage cheese or even turkey or chicken breast and it will keep your metabolism going. If you are properly nourished, your body won't necessarily "eat your muscle" while you sleep...but your metabolism does slow down immensely while you are at rest. By eating protein before you sleep, you keep your metabolism going a little longer while you are not awake. For the average person, I don't think it is a necessity. If you are a high performance athlete or training for a competition and eating a very strict diet, I HIGHLY recommend eating some form of protein before going to sleep. When I competed, I took casein almost every night right before going to sleep and I feel it helped me maintain my muscle mass as opposed to the time I competed and ate nothing before sleep. My body fat was much lower the second time and my muscles were bigger.