workout every day?

Options
Should I work out every day? Or should I take a day or 2 a week off? What are everyone's thoughts on this? And how much working out is sustainable without "burning out"?

Replies

• Emmaloubalajake
    Emmaloubalajake Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I workout every other day. It works for me and I get sufficient rest days
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I dont do it anymore I used to but I think its good to have a day where your muscles can relax
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals? Because exercise is for fitness and can help with body composition, it is not going to cause weight loss. If you are training for something, daily training probably is required. If you are trying to improve your cardiovascular health you may enjoy doing 20-30 mins of cardio every day.

I work out 4-5x a week. Cardio for ~80 mins a week max, 160-180 mins of lifting a week. Or 1.3hrs cardio and 2.6-3hrs lifting a week. I am considering either lengthening my post-lifting cardio to 15 mins instead of 10 or doing a 2nd 30-minute day of cardio because my cardiovascular health is still not as good as it could be.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't, generally. I aim for 4 times a week, sometimes it's more, but rarely less.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Do what works for your body. I need to exercise every day--I only take a break if I am sick or injured.

I have sustained that for almost four years.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a 7 day a week girl :) I do take rest days when I feel I need them but otherwise I really enjoy exercise. Right now I'm training for another marathon so what I do and how I do it has changed but I continue to get exercise daily. I think it really boils down to what you do and how you feel. If you feel like you need rest days then take them. I know people that do and then people like myself that only do on occasion. Do what is right for you :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by workout. If you mean something more intense (given your current fitness level) it's best to take a day or two off. If you mean something more like being active, then every day is fine. On my off-days I might try to walk a little bit extra or might still ride my bike for errands or even commute, if it's nothing too taxing. I'd listen to your body, though, and make sure you are getting in rest and not feeling like there's something wrong with that--it's important.

If you are just starting out, it might even be better to try and get on a regular 3-day a week or every other day schedule first.

Edit: ana's point about goals is a good one, too. If you are doing a weights program there will be rest days built in, and same with a running program (which is typically 4-5 days per week with a cross training day or two, IME). If you are doing multiple programs, you want to be careful about combining them, as you don't want to lose the intended benefit of the rest days.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by workout. If you mean something more intense (given your current fitness level) it's best to take a day or two off. If you mean something more like being active, then every day is fine. On my off-days I might try to walk a little bit extra or might still ride my bike for errands or even commute, if it's nothing too taxing. I'd listen to your body, though, and make sure you are getting in rest and not feeling like there's something wrong with that--it's important.

If you are just starting out, it might even be better to try and get on a regular 3-day a week or every other day schedule first.

This is a good point. I do yoga at least once a day, but unless I'm doing something super intense like Vinyasa, I don't really think of it in terms of exercise. I do something for my body every day - I'm just more purposeful and vigorous 4 days a week.
  • ana3067
    Options

This is a good point. I do yoga at least once a day, but unless I'm doing something super intense like Vinyasa, I don't really think of it in terms of exercise. I do something for my body every day - I'm just more purposeful and vigorous 4 days a week.

JW re: yoga, did you take classes or learn on your own? I've wanted to try yoga for YEARS but I am lazy and would rather do it at hjome, but then I never find good resources haha.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

JW re: yoga, did you take classes or learn on your own? I've wanted to try yoga for YEARS but I am lazy and would rather do it at hjome, but then I never find good resources haha.

I started on my own - watching videos on YouTube (try Yoga with Adriene, she's a great place to start). I finally decided to take a formal class, and I'm really enjoying it a lot (it's super fast paced yoga). You can totally do it at home and be successful! If you have any other questions, let me know - I love talking yoga.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I started on my own - watching videos on YouTube (try Yoga with Adriene, she's a great place to start). I finally decided to take a formal class, and I'm really enjoying it a lot (it's super fast paced yoga). You can totally do it at home and be successful! If you have any other questions, let me know - I love talking yoga.

Cool, thanks! I don't think I have time for structured yoga classes until I graduate anyways. I'll check out the YT channel!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You could TECHNICALLY do some form of "exercise" everyday as long as it's of moderate intensity. But if performance gains in the way of strength and endurance are your goal and you're not just out to burn calories, it would be beneficial to take rest days.

If your workouts are higher in intensity, then it would be best to take rest days after each full body workout for safety's sake as in that case, the central nervous system is also being heavily worked and that DOES need rest.

For strength work, the rule of thumb is never train the same muscle two days in a row. If your workouts are full body (which is what is most beneficial to beginners, people whose goals revolve primarily around functional gains more than aesthetic, as well as people who are focusing more on getting lean), then yes, a rest day after each strength workout is necessary.
  • girrrl3363
    Options
    I think you should give your self a break sometimes because you'll probably get tired of working out ever day and you'll just stop or you'll work out ever day but eat something really big after words
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I do something every day. Lifting is only 3-4 days a week. Cardio every day. Yoga on non lifting days.
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the type and intensity of the workout, I personally workout 6 days a week alternating weight training and HIIT, doing 3 of each a week..
    I think at least 1 days rest while doing high intensity routines is needed for the body to repair, but if you are doing low impact cardio then I think daily would be just fine
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that no matter what you do, you try to get some activity in every day. You don't have to go for a run or hit the weight room, but get outside for a short walk at a minimum. complete and total sedentary days are something best left to convalescent homes.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've had one day off this year but i'm a cyclist so i guess it's a little different. I ride three hard weeks and then have a "rest" week where i still cycle every day but at a reduced volume. For example, next week is a rest week so i'll only be cycling 10 hours, but this week i rode 19.5

YMMV of course.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day...I need some of those calories to eat back so I can feel satisfied and comfortable lol. Also, walking every day isn't bad for anybody. I don't do intense exercise every day...but I at least walk 3m each day.
  • ByHisGrace18
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! Because I'm trying to rebuild muscle mass after a long period of being forced into a sedentary lifestyle, due to 2 back surgeries, I will take it a day at a time . Depending on how sore my muscles are. I am also doing Cardio and will try to do something daily.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do 3x a week and try to walk 10k steps on other days