Struggling at work

Options
I do shift work. I take my own food in,And I'm struggling with keeping the healthy eating going. I have got breakfast and lunch sorted, but find it hard to come up with healthy, but simple recipes which can be packed and taken to work. I find I'm just going for the weight watchers ready meals, but they are getting boring! Any good recipe websites out there? Thanks

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For work, prepare/cook something a head of time and take out a portion of that to put in the freezer to bring to work during the week.
    What types of foods are you looking for?
    You said you already sorted out breakfast and lunch sorted.
    Are you looking for snacks? A big meal?
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As RodaRose says, what is it you're looking for? It looks like you are looking for dinners and you can heat them at work, in which case I'd recommend batch-cooking any freezable dinners you like to eat - in my case that would be lasagnes, beef stews, cottage pies, fish pies etc. then freezing in portions. What sort of dinners would you cook for yourself normally?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I take whatever I had the night before as leftovers for lunch, do the same for your dinner.
  • sEllen82
    sEllen82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. LizN63, I like the idea of batch cooking, but are these sorts of meals 'healthy' enough? I've been laying off red meat, as I was told there's too much protein? Then stopped carbs. I've literally been having chicken or fish, with veg or salad for the past few weeks.
  • Ninina24
    Ninina24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you like soup, there are so many healthy soup options. Progreso Light soup is also a good choice if you do not want to make your own.
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The best part of meal prep is buying nice lunch boxes and tupperware! I find it motivating to pack all of them for the week. I agree with everyone above, prep meals in advance so that you can take them all week. Or if there is a fridge at work and you trust your coworkers, keep some there so you don't have to take it every day.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about whether something is 'healthy'. You could eat McDonalds seven days a week and lose weight if you stayed within your calorie deficit. Don't give up carbs or red meat, just eat sensibly and you'll see success.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I cook dinners that will last me the week, bake my own bread, have vegetables and Greek yogurt on hand, and log the day before, pack it all before work. I am big into homemade foods just for fun.
  • renaore
    renaore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I personally loved food prepping on the weekends using whatever recipes I can find online. I recommend BakingMadGymAddict on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_aGMPwGkSM

Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    sEllen82 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice. LizN63, I like the idea of batch cooking, but are these sorts of meals 'healthy' enough? I've been laying off red meat, as I was told there's too much protein? Then stopped carbs. I've literally been having chicken or fish, with veg or salad for the past few weeks.
    Eat the red meat. It is good for you and way better than eating WW every day.
    Eat the carbs in moderation.
    This is about counting calories so it does not matter what foods you actually eat.
    Choose foods that you like and that keep you under your calorie goal.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What about making your own soups ahead of time and freezing them?

I am lucky to be able to eat most of my lunches at home, but when I have to take a lunch, my go-to is a rice bowl. They are OK for a while not refrigerated and they can be eaten cold if necessary. I start with 1/2 C brown rice, then add a 1/4 beans (black, pinto, etc.) plus homemade salsa and whatever veggies I have on hand (green onions, tomatoes, avocado) and olives, maybe an ounce of cheese. Very filling and you can customize them to your taste. I also make a Thai version with peanut sauce and Asian veggies.

Salad-in-a-jar is another option to look into. There are many ideas for these on Pinterest. I find that the salads list up to a week when layered correctly.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Try and focus on maintaining a caloric deficit to start with rather than stress too much over red meat, carbs etc.
    You can refine your diet in terms of macronutrients when you get the weight loss part down pat.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said, red meat is 'healthy' (as are carbs) as long as it fits in your overall goals. In fact, I am prone to iron deficiency so I do like including red meat. I have difficulty getting to my (conservative) protein goals even including it. Plus, I like it!