Toning help!

Options
The only exercise equipment that I have is a treadmill. I was wondering if daily incline walks as well as daily pilates will tone me in time for bikini season in May!
I wish I could lift weights, as I have been told that is the best way, but unfortunately I cannot get weights. Any way to compromise and get toned just as much until then?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Pushups, inverted pullups, pike pushups, etc. Body weight exercises are available for free online. As mentioned, you DON'T need to do Pilates everyday. It's not going to "tone" you up any faster than if you did it every other day (a better option because rest is essential).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Muscles don't sag or get flabby, fat does. As the saying goes, if it jiggles it's fat. Lose the body fat and your beautifully toned muscles will show up.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    look up you are your own gym and convict conditioning.

Bodyweight exercises can be very very effective done correctly.
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Alright. Any ideas on loosing body fat?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Alright. Any ideas on loosing body fat?
    Be consistent in moderate calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Just115Pounds
    Options
    What about an exercise plan to speed up the process as well as make the results better? If I just have a diet then I will loose weight but not as fast and the results won't be as great :/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    look up you are your own gym and convict conditioning.

Bodyweight exercises can be very very effective done correctly.
    This. And agreed that you just need a deficit to lose body fat.
  • Just115Pounds
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises? What exactly are those? Sorry, I kind of am clueless...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What about an exercise plan to speed up the process as well as make the results better? If I just have a diet then I will loose weight but not as fast and the results won't be as great :/
    Contrary to what you're thinking, losing weight too fast isn't that healthy, can be hard on the heart and may not give your skin time to retract (although you are young so this may not happen). Problem with youth today is the "instant gratification" they need.
    Don't know how to explain it to you any other way, but that YOUR BODY will lose fat at the rate it wants too. The other option is going under the knife.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Just115Pounds
    Options
    Of course! But I was wondering what sorts of exercise should I do everyday to maximize the results? I want to be efficient, but healthy :P
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Start with just push ups and squats. Learn the correct form and do 2-3 sets of 12 reps.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Do any cardio to increase your calorie deficit. Running, walking, biking, elliptical, exercise videos ... there are lots of different ways, and they all work. But don't be upset if this doesn't help as much as you'd hope.

You should also do strength training to maintain the muscle you already have. With no equipment, you'll need a bodyweight program. Look at the books You Are Your Own Gym, or Body By You, or Convict Conditioning. Bodyweight programs can be complicated, so the books are very helpful.

Beginner strength programs are typically 3 days a week. You can do the cardio on the off days. Depending on how hard the strength workouts wear you out, you might be able to do some cardio on strength days, too.
  • Just115Pounds
    Options
    Do you know of any free alternatives/strength programs that will be just as effective?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    YAYOG, BBY, and CC are the only programs I've ever worked with personally, so I can't recommend any others. If I remember right, they cost about $8 as a e-book.

You might be able to find one of them in the library.
  • Just115Pounds
    Options
    Alrighty, thank you! I heard YAYOG has an app, maybe I can get a hold of that!
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Being tone takes a lot of work. You need to strip the layer of fat off of you and you can begin to "tone" up. Do whatever exercises that you can do that will speed up the process. I know youtube has a lot of free exercise videos if you go looking for it.

However, the quickest way to get to the body composition that you are hoping for is going to be continuing to track your calories here, and add in some resistance training along the way.

Join a gym, do some classes, do some weight lifting, or go to youtube and find free videos and go to walmart and pick yourself up some resistance bands or some cheap dumbbells and get to work.
  • Dancetherapist
    Dancetherapist Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try taking barre classes! I've been doing pure barre for a few years and it has helped me develop muscle tone more than any other workout I've ever done. Combined with the whole caloric deficit thingy plus moderate cardio you should definitely see change in your body. :smile:
  • djkkrissa
    Options
    In my opinion i think it may get you toned depending on how many minutes a day you work at it. Now you dont not NEED weights to be toned. I didnt have weights for the longest time. I used the outdoors and i got denise austen workout tapes. Also it sounds silly but back in like the 80's if they didnt have weights they used soup cans. If you have an instagram i follow a ton of home workout pages and i use those sometimes and they are super fun! So you can go through my following list if you want @love_klarissa