Determination and Effort Can Take You Far! 40+ lbs gone with pics!

Options

Replies

• jadedbutterfly55
    Options
    Great job!!!! Yur still young glad u figured it out while u are young..keep up the good work ..u look awesome!!!
  • jadedbutterfly55
    Options
    :)
  • Ibknute
    Ibknute Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pastela wrote: »
    We all have the power to make a great change in our lives! It takes a lot of willpower and effort, but it is so worth it in the end. It's all about changing bad lifestyle habits to positive ones.

Congratulations and you look great! The lines quoted above say it all. We have control over how think and what we do. Awesome story and you are an inspiration to us all. Keep up the excellent work!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work. You look amazing and I really wish I'd figured out the same things when I was your age. Great job, and keep it up!

P.S. - Love the jerseys! Go 'Canes!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What an excellent story. Thank you :smile:
  • Pastela
    Pastela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I love all of the great comments you have all left me! It means a lot to hear that my story inspires others. It took a lot of work, but it was actually a pretty fun process. :)
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Fantastic work. You look amazing and I really wish I'd figured out the same things when I was your age. Great job, and keep it up!

P.S. - Love the jerseys! Go 'Canes!

Thank you!
    It's nice to see a fellow Canes fan on MFP. :)

• shaunsmoot
    shaunsmoot Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO CHICA!!! :) What an inspiring story! Hard work, dedication, and determination has helped you reach your goal! Keep up the great work! You have an incredible life to look forward to, filled with many wonderful memories!
    I AM INSPIRED by your story! CONGRATULATIONS!!! (*)
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    WTG! You look great!
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi @Pastela‌ Congratulations!! I'm pretty much around the same weight as when you started. Can you please tell us more about your workout routine that helped you lose the weight? Did you follow any
    Program and what was your calorie intake each day? Thanks again for inspiring me.
  • dale530
    Options
    You look great!! Congratulations on all the hard work.
  • blinknik04
    blinknik04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a transformation! You look awesome, congrats!
  • Pastela
    Pastela Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi @Pastela‌ Congratulations!! I'm pretty much around the same weight as when you started. Can you please tell us more about your workout routine that helped you lose the weight? Did you follow any
    Program and what was your calorie intake each day? Thanks again for inspiring me.

Thank you @minniemickey! I'm glad my story inspired you!

I didn't follow any specific program. I kinda just did a lot of research on exercise/nutrition and used MFP to figure out a lot of things. In college I had a lot of free time, so I would spend around 40-60 min in the gym doing cardio (elliptical/treadmill) Monday-Friday then I would also allocate time for using the weight machines. It wasn't any type of special plan. I would just pop in my ear buds and jam to my music while going at it on the elliptical.

I tried to stay within a 1200 calorie limit with exercise initially which was a bad idea. I lost a lot of weight quickly at first, but I became irritable and tired doing that, and it wasn't healthy calorie level for me to be at. Please be sure to eat enough calories based on your activity level! I did more research and used a calculator to make a better estimate of my calorie consumption. For my measurements and activity level it was better for me to eat between 1600-1700 calories, so I had to adjust. I would recommend using the IIFYM calculator (iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) to help you find an estimate of how many calories you should be consuming for your height, weight, and activity level.

I also changed my diet and attitude towards food which is what I think really helped me the most. I used to eat a lot of junky processed fast food, salty chips, and sugary snacks. I then started focusing on eating more protein in the form of grilled fish/chicken along with eating lots of veggies. I cut out eating stuff like pasta, white bread, fried food, and processed snack crackers. Fortunately, my taste preferences also changed over time. I began to crave eating snacks like broccoli w/hummus instead of eating greasy fries with honey mustard. I now vastly prefer grilled meats over fried meats.

Portion control was also a huge help for me. I began following serving sizes on labels. For example, I would portion one of my favorite snacks like plantain chips (serving size is 14 chips) into sandwich baggies and keep the the actual bag of chips out of my sight. I used to be really bad about grazing on food out of boredom. Now I understand serving sizes and calorie counts for food a lot better. I now don't waste calories needlessly on handfuls of sugary cereal!

I also made substitutes for foods I liked. This was actually a lot of fun!

Examples:

-Switched sugary fruit flavored yogurt with plain Greek yogurt with real berries.
    -Switched regular milk with unsweetened almond milk
    -Switched regular onion dip with Greek yogurt
    -Use carrots, broccoli, cucumbers and other veggies for dipping instead of chips
    -Shred zucchini into pasta-like strands to use in place of regular spaghetti
    -Ditched soda completely for water

Anyway, that just a quick overview what I done. I hope this information is helpful to you! It's all about making healthy, sustainable lifestyle choices. :)
  • anacd
    anacd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's really inspiring! I'm exactly at the point you were when you started (200lbs) and trying to get where you are now (150lbs), so it's a real encouragement to hear your story :) You look great!
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing, so healthy and fit. Thanks for all the tips. I had to increase my calories from 1200 too. I felt dizzy, tired, and forgetful at that level and I'm only 5'2". Upped it to 1350 and I'm doing much better and losing weight faster! Anyway, great job!
  • emartins1975
    emartins1975 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Not that you didn't before but now you look healthier and happier. Great job!
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well done! You are a really pretty girl (both before & after the weight loss) but you look much slimmer and healthier now. Brilliant stuff!
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic transformation, congrats!!
  • Lyn1424
    Lyn1424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome work!
  • 1DEF
    1DEF Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Loved your post and thanks for the pep talk. Very motivating. You look great--like others have said you have saved yourself years of yo-yo dieting misery by learning about nutrition and fitness now.
  • SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!