Need to find high potassium and iron food.

Options
I realized by adding my meals that I am in deficit of iron and potassium. What should I consider as ailments , I am not a fan of chemical vitamins. Thank you for your help.

Replies

• JennMRempe
    Options
    Sweet potatoes (yams) and brussels sprouts are loaded with potassium, as are bananas. The yams and sprouts are in season and I have recently re-introduced them to my diet and they are delicious. Try cutting the sprouts in half, tossing in olive oil and balsamic vinegar (optional), add salt, pepper and a little parmesan cheese and bake at 375o for 40 minutes. delicious. Spinach and beef liver are well-known for iron content. 1 cup (8 oz.) of raw spinach provides more than 30% of the RDA of iron. You could also try foods fortified with iron, such as certain breads or cereals. Good luck MaxJacob! :smile:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are probably getting enough of both. The data base does not have complete info sometimes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    potassium citrate, and masa precocida.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Nu-Salt is a great potassium supplement. "Chemical vitamins" doesn't mean anything.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You are probably getting enough of both. The data base does not have complete info sometimes.

This could be true. Go check other sources for everything you eat. Just google each food individually with the term nutrition information. Be sure to include coffee if you drink it, it has a good amount of potassium. If you're still under, it's best to try to get it from food. The pharmacist at Walgreens told me they probably weren't going to carry potassium supplements anymore because it can be dangerous for people to supplement it. That's nice, for those who can afford a large variety of healthy foods or a trip to the doctor for a blood test and prescription version. For everyone else and those of us on more restricted diets, we get to have fun making up the deficit by popping 10+ capsules a day with less than %3 of the RDA per capsule. Hate it!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Many veggies and fruits have an abundance of potassium as does yogurt and meats! And legumes! Between eating a lot of veggies and drinking a few cups of coffee per day, I usually get enough. Beef, pork, and fish also have potassium. I think if you're eating a well-balanced diet you should be getting enough .

On days that I am heavy on veggies, I have a surplus. The days that I am down on potassium are when I don't eat enough nutrient-dense foods and use my calories on "treats" and less nutritious choices.

The other day I ate 1 257 gram sweet potato, 150 grams of steamed broccoli, and 1/2 can of tuna fish for lunch and logged over 1700 grams of potassium. I exceeded my potassium goal for that day because all of my meals and snacks were fruit-veggie dense.

I'd say if you're not getting enough of certain nutrients, you need to rethink your meals. That said, I am always coming up a little short on iron. :neutral_face:
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I never hit my iron goal. The problem is that I simply hate most of the foods that are high in iron. I eat spinach almost every day and dried apricots are good, but very calorie dense. I don't eat much red meat, so most days I'm lucky to hit 50%-60%.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Yeah and the iron supplement at the pharmacy is like, overkill. I'm wondering if I can take the iron supplement just 1x a month since iron does store in your body. I've read a lot about how damaging it is to have too much iron. Iron fortified cereals are supposedly a help but I wonder how nutritionally sound they are? I do better on iron goals when I eat a serving of cereal during the day...
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Google high potassium foods (I had to. It's easier that way) and take an iron supplement.
  • MaxJacob
    Options
    Nu-Salt is a great potassium supplement. "Chemical vitamins" doesn't mean anything.

My English is not prefect, I meant vitamins produced synthetically.

Thank your for all your advices.