ISO your favourite whole food meals and no sugar added dessert recipes!

Options
thursdaystgiles
thursdaystgiles Posts: 98 Member
The subject line says it all. For meals, really anything goes, if you've got a great blog you follow or a cookbook to recommend, I'd love to hear about it.
We're trying to cut processed sugar out of our diet for a while--we've been experimenting with using maple syrup and/or honey as a sweetener, but I'm open to really any natural sweeteners (dates or whatever)

Replies

• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    http://www.thugkitchen.com/

I have yet to see any of the recipes they give that called for sugar. It's all honey or maple syrup and meat free. They use a lot of fruits, peanut butter, maple syrup..etc for the sweets.

http://www.thugkitchen.com/cookbook

This book has made my life feel like all hope is not lost! I'm not a vegitarian and I do love sugar but I eat very little meat and don't cook with sugar so this book is a God sent.
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The sugar in honey or maple syrup is the same as processed sugar. Sugar is sugar.
  • florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Agree, sugar in maple or honey affects you about the same as refined sugar. If you don't believe me, ask a diabetic. It's all in the amounts you eat.
    If you want to cook without sugar and with honey or natural sweeteners go ahead, but don't let the word "natural" deceive you. It will still give you diabetis if you eat them all the time.
    Plus all those dried fruits like dates, raisins and prunes have sugar added a lot of times so always check labels.

But if you want a nice treat, put a bunch of dates, walnuts or pecans and a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder in a food processor or a blender and blend until your pecans are turned into tiny pieces. Form little balls and voila! Fudgey delicious goodness!
    Note: I don't have quantities because I eyeball it and taste it first before adding more cocoa powder but it should taste chocolatey and you should feel like you are walking on a chocolate Fudgey heaven.