I'm 22 I may have diabetes and I'm really scared....

Options
I started noticing dark spots around my ankles not too long ago so decided to see a doctor... she told me I may be diabetic... I've been freaking out all weekend and can't stop over thinking and crying after she told me I googled symptoms and now I feel extremely thirsty and can't stop urinating every hour or so but am I just being paranoid... I am so scared I'm only 22 I don't want to die too soon... I am overweight and my grandparents both had diabetes my parents however don't ... what other symptoms should I be noticing?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was type 2 diabetic for many years. For a chronic condition this is one you can control to a great degree. I assume you have been sent for testing to confirm the guess. Until you know avoid sugary foods of all kinds and try and eat three meals with snacks between. Small sensible meals. Other symptoms might be fuzzy-headedness, tingling in the hands and feet but really nothing definitive. Diabetes is largely a silent illness. Wait to confirm and remember to relax.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My fiance' is a diabetic, he's 43 and found out 5 years ago. His symptoms were constant thirst as well. He also continues to eat what he wants even though he's not supposed to have it. I really don't think diabetes is bad as it seems especially if its under control. When he first found out though, the doctor couldn't understand why he was still alive, because his levels were in the 400s. Once he was properly diagnosed and began taking his insulin and testing his blood sugar regularly, he's fine. Just make sure your levels also don't drop below 70, his did twice last month and it was scary. He was sweating buckets and could do anything but lay there and almost passed out, but I kept slapping him in the face trying to make him talk so he could drink something to bring his levels back up. Took about an hour for it to get above 70. Dont' be scared, just make sure you're doing what you are supposed to do, take your medicine and keep check on your blood sugar and you should be fine. Good Luck!
  • LeeMarie317
    LeeMarie317 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hey girl im 22 too and I AM diabetic. Since i was 5. I know its scary but its not the end. You can add me if you want and im open to any questions you may have. Ether way have faith everything will be ok :)
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 30. Your vision will be affected too. You can fix this though. Don't let it overwhelm you. For adult onset diabetes it's a simple formula of diet and exercise.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, your doctor has you set-up for testing...it's relatively simple for them to do. After that, regardless of if you are or are not diabetic, you should be referred to a nutritionist, mainly because your family does have a history of the disease.

My hubby is a Type 1 diabetic (he was diagnosed at age 8, and is now 46)...his mom is a Type 2, but was hypoglycemic for most of her life...her father was a Type 1. The big thing my hubby has to watch is carbs...and they are hidden in a lot of things! :(

I'm not going to say "Don't panic!" because it *is* serious...however, it *is* survive-able and there *are* athletes and entertainers who *are* diabetic (Type 1 and 2).

If your doctor hasn't set you up for lab work, call *today* and make sure he/she does A.S.A.P.

Good luck and be good to you!
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started noticing dark spots around my ankles not too long ago so decided to see a doctor... she told me I may be diabetic... I've been freaking out all weekend and can't stop over thinking and crying after she told me I googled symptoms and now I feel extremely thirsty and can't stop urinating every hour or so but am I just being paranoid... I am so scared I'm only 22 I don't want to die too soon... I am overweight and my grandparents both had diabetes my parents however don't ... what other symptoms should I be noticing?

Hi there. I'm Jill. I am a diabetic, although what type I am is largely unknown as I have had conflicting reports from various doctors, although I fit the stereotype for type 2. Anyways, I just wanted to say having diabetes is not as bad/scary as it sounds. It seems daunting in the beginning because there is just SO much info out there about it. But know that it is *NOT* a death sentence. In fact, if you look at it this way, it might be a good thing because at least for me it forced me to give up all sugar, limit carbs, and eat more vegetables and lean meats. The added bonus to that is it forces me to exercise because I know if I don't I won't have control over my sugars, so to keep myself alive I do have to exercise and that alone is great for weight loss.

I don't claim to know all about diabetes since I was never educated (let me say that if you do have diabetes, DON'T let your doctor throw medications at you without explaining things to you. That happened to me and it did not make for a nice experience), but I know the basics and have seven years experience. I would be glad to share what I do know.