6 month Post Partum and still not losing!

Options
I have had so many people tell me I am going to lose weight so quickly since I am breastfeeding my son. He is now 6 months old and I gained 8 lbs. I was down from 188 to 153 Now I am 161. My son was 10lbs when he was born and is now a whopping 20lbs. I feel as if I am starving at all hours of the day like I just can't eat enough. I know I need sleep and Im not getting much of that and I find I eat to stay awake after work at times or during work because I start to crash mid morning. Has any else experienced this? I am starting over yet again on MFP in hopes to see where I am lacking and to help me stay accountable for what I eat.

Replies

• monkeymafia
    monkeymafia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have 5 brothers and sisters, 10 nieces and nephews and 9 great nieces. I can't tell you how different everyone has coped with their pregnancies and post partum. One friend lost weight every time she got pregnant (made me want to hit her in her head 0_o ) But I can tell you, absolutely every site I've been to and every person I know that was struggling after baby came has said that it was mostly sleep deprivation that was holding them back with their baby weight. Hang in there new mom and don't give up ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight while breastfeeding. I was absolutely famished and thirsty the whole time too. Looking back, I wish I had found a way to fit in at least some exercise. I was stuck in the "I work full time and therefore every non-work moment has to be spent in my child's face to make up for it" though zone. Exercising would have made a big difference for me with burning the calories.
  • ACV1996
    ACV1996 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5 months postpartum and I'm having the hardest time myself...I just started tracking on fitness pal to see what I'm doing wrong myself
  • jahalme
    Options
    Hey girls! Hang in there.. I'm a mom of 4 and each time it's 9 months when it gets easier to lose.. It's never easy but easier ;) just make sure you're eating filling foods and not empty calories and drink lots of water. Otherwise try not to stress about it too much. Congrats!
  • alabatiuk44
    alabatiuk44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5 months PP also... Struggling too! Such a long process and very frustrating at times
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    7 months pp here, offering support!
  • tiffanyjfisher
    Options
    My baby is 8 weeks old. She is my second. I came home at 182 and got down to 163...I am now 166.4 and I have drastically cut my calories and carbs and have been exercising every week day! I don't understand why I am not loosing weight!? It's been 2 weeks since I lost anything! Also, my baby sleeps through the night so I'm not sleep deprived.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Same issues here. My little boy is 9 months old and is still breastfeeding. I am having the worst time ever losing weight :( I'm sticking to my calories and exercising 3 nights a week and still nothing! I started dieting 5 weeks ago, initially lost 5lbs but by the next week that 5lbs had gone back on again and I haven't lost any more since. So annoying! :s
  • nordicskater
    nordicskater Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'm discouraged by these posts but have to press on. I am 11 wks PP and have lost 30 of the 35, but nothing now for many weeks. I'm starting to eat worse I feel and its really tough to get a routine going for exercise. Sleep deprivation is still a component I'm sure among other stressors. Still, I am looking for others in the same boat and will do my best to be a motivator!
  • tiffanyjfisher
    Options
    I'm just determined to keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully there will be a break through! This may be tmi but since I've started dieting i haven't been having regular bowl movements...wondering if that's hindering me.
  • mikkimomof3
    mikkimomof3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    9 months pp here and breastfeeding. Still sleep deprived and not making the best choices. This is my fourth, so I know it gets better. Feel free to add me for encouragment...I could use it too!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I nursed my youngest for almost 2 years and never lost a pound. I'm finally losing weight now though ...... she'll be 8 in July. So the "you'll lose weight just from breastfeeding" is not so accurate for everyone. :P
  • chanty09
    chanty09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "If you are breastfeeding the weight will just fall off of you" biggest lie ever! My son is 9 months old, I breastfed for 4 months I lost nothing from breastfeeding. In fact I haven't lost any weight until recently counting calories. I have definitely learned that if we have another child I will not eat because I can. Obviously I am one of those people who will only lose the 8 pounds my baby weighed :'(. Its nice to know I am not the only one. I have actually thought there was sometging wrong with me. Its so depressing, I actually only have 2 pictures of my son and I, because I do not like the way I look.
  • sp5280
    sp5280 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am almost 3 months pp I too am breastfeeding. I recently started calorie counting and 5 lbs came off quickly but now I seem to be at a stand still. I exercise a few times a week and am staying under my calorie count. I do have carbs and the occasional treat but it's always within mfp count. So I am curious what everyone's calorie count is? How much are you alotting for breastfeeding and how strict is your diet? It's so frustrating not losing my baby weight.
  • kellybabe05
    kellybabe05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I nursed my first two for 2.5 years and I've been nursing #3 for 15 months. I've always had to fight for every pound. I'm still 25 lbs heavier than I'd like to be, but I am back at my pre pregnancy weight. Hang in there! One day at a time.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    9 months postpartum and in the same boat. I lost almost 30 lbs in the first few weeks after delivery and then gained 10 between months three and six. It is hard to control hunger but logging calories helps Leave calories for snacks to avoid getting to that "food crazed" state. I was in a similar situation with my first child and didn't really lose until he was nine or ten months old. In the first month after we weaned I lost over ten lbs. it will come off. Be patient with your body, it is doing amazing things!
  • perpetualjuly
    perpetualjuly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also 6 months postpartum and still at about the same weight I left the hospital. I had a goal to make it 6 months exclusively breastfeeding, and put other concerns, like weight loss, on the backburner. Breastfeeding is hard work! But it certainly hasn't resulted in any weight loss for me - and I've had to keep up with my hunger in order to maintain my supply. Now that I've met my goal and am beginning to introduce solids for my baby, I am ready to start addressing my weight. Have you all been "eating back" the approx. 350-500 calories we burn breastfeeding?
  • pudgypengi
    Options
    My baby is 6 months next week and I'm finding it impossible to lose the weight. I've used MFP in the past and was always able to lose the weight fairly easily but the pounds just won't budge now. You'd think carrying an 18 pound human around all day on top of exercise and calorie counting would work but my weight has been the same for the last 3 weeks. :[
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time losing weight while breastfeeding. I found the when I just walked and did light cardio I was losing weight, but when I started lifting and doing intense exercise, nothing came off. good luck! Things will work themselves off eventually.
  • Sara_Emily_X
    Options
    I had my son 3 months ago and have lost over 2 stone from breastfeeding and calorie counting. Have you made sure that you're eating the right amount of calories for a breastfeeding mum because I have found personally if I try to eat too little I only end up binging and breastfeeding burns a lot of calories do you need to be sensible with your calorie goals and try to lose it slowly. It's really hard when your tired, all you can do is try and get as much as sleep as possible and as much help as possible.