Running success stories

Options
I walk for an hour 5-6 times a week. Been doing so for 1.5 years. I added running from 8 December 2014.I can run for only a minute that's because I'm 5'3 and weigh 87 kgs. I've read articles about obese people who took up running and reduced to desirable size. I am so motivated by such articles but feel very disappointed when I can't even run for 5 minutes. Please I would really appreciate it if "successful losers" on MFP who lost their body weight with running give me advice about how to build endurance and improve my running. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I started with a Couch to 5K plan about 2 years ago, I've since lost nearl 4 Stone and am in the process of training for a marathon.
  • tenby88
    Options
    I would try running and walking routine. Run for a few minutes and then walk to recover. Gradually increase the percentage of running. There are many people who even run marathons with a 6 min run followed by 1 min walk routine.

Another great interval style workout that works really well for me is an interval style of running and strength training. I have various routines, but one of them that may work for you...I run on a treadmill for 10 minutes alternating 1 min low intensity with 30 seconds of higher intensity...then I do 10 minutes of strength training...switching exercises every minute...two or three rounds of both depending on how much time I have...
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I didn't go from walking to running. I actually started using the elliptical first, and really pushing myself on it. It's low-impact, so much easier on your joints than running, and allowed me to build up a decent amount of aerobic/cardio endurance at a higher intensity than walking. Then, once I did decide to start running, I was much better prepared.

If you don't have access to gym equipment, the Couch 2 5K program mentioned above is a great schedule for transitioning into running. Just go as slow as you need to so you don't get hurt, repeating weeks as many times as works for you.

I did actually gain some weight when I started running, but that wasn't from the running itself. It made me hungrier and I was overeating that hunger (not tracking calories). So be aware that that might happen, and don't give in, and you'll be fine. :)

And go buy cute running clothes. It's a proven fact that looking good makes you faster.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Couch to 5k programme. I started last year and could barely run for 30 seconds and now I am training for my first half marathon. Take it at your own pace and repeat weeks if needed as cheshirecatastrophe says. Stick with it and you'll be hooked!
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for C25K! Yesterday I went for a run just for the fun of it, and didn't do one of the scheduled days. I was shocked when I ran about two miles with no walking breaks. I never would've thought that possible just a little bit ago :)
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    hey guys thank you all for great advice. I am actually using this app called get running and am assuming its quite similar to couch to 5k and a I have reached week 7 with no improvement in my running whatsoever :( I think I should give up running as its not my cuppa. Anyways thanks again for great advice!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So that's the basis of the question...

If you can't run for 60 seconds, then you're almost certainly trying to run too fast. Slow down until you can run for 60 seconds, then that's your pace to work at.

C25K Week one is a warm up walk for 5 minutes, then eight repeats of one minute running with 90 seconds walking, followed by a 5 minute cool down walk. It's very common in the C25K forum to see the same comment, and the answer is always to slow down. The point of the plan is to run continuously, not to run fast.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Look up "So you want to start running" in the threads. It's by @ThickMcRunFast and it's really good for a place to start.
  • snaapz
    snaapz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is me!!!

My legs would cramp up and I would be out of breath after 5 minutes. All I wanted to do was run. I would literally dream about running. I got a trainer and she just said "if you can run then don't" she was terrible.

I bought a used treadmill. Got a MP3 player and loaded my favourite songs. It took about 3 months of using the treadmill 3 times a week for 20 minutes.

I can now jog/run for 20 minutes and the fat melted off.

Just start with a jog and each week go a bit faster. Your leg muscles will grow and lungs will get better and calories will be burnt!!

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't ready to run. How fast do you walk? Can you walk four miles in an hour or less?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't ready to run. How fast do you walk? Can you walk four miles in an hour or less?

That's irrelevant. I can run for an hour straight (11 minute miles) without being able to walk at a 15 minute mile pace.

I would recommend slowing down, too. Even if you already think you're going too slow to call it a run. It's a hard piece of advice - I didn't listen when I was starting out, either.

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I started with a Couch to 5K plan about 2 years ago, I've since lost nearl 4 Stone and am in the process of training for a marathon.

Same here! C25K eased me into running. From there I went on to C210K, then training and running 10K and half marathon races and now it is up to marathons.

I started in May 2014 and I am now 49 and reached my goal weight.

Best of luck
    Stef.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking at Jeff Galloway run/walk/run program. That is what I used when I first started to run. I will admit I was very slow at first. It took awhile but slowly my speed increased along with my distance. I am now running without walking breaks and I just completed my first marathon with a time of 4:42 (9:50 pace). It will take time and but just stick with it. Like others said perhaps you need to slow your pace down a little.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    couch to 5 k is magic, trust me!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I was originally 136 pounds over my BMI ideal weight. I started walking after losing my first 32 pounds on diet. Once I was walking long distances briskly with ease I started adding in some running for short bursts during my walks around the point I had lost 56 pounds. I wasn't following any program, simply trying to keep up the challenge so I burned the most calories. The distances increased over time and I have since run a 5k, 10k and half marathon. I've currently lost almost 90 pounds total since I first started losing, with 34 of those pounds being since I started running. I still have over 40 pounds to go to get to that BMI weight, but at this point I'm truly a little less concerned with weight and more concerned with body strength as that helps me become a better distance runner.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took an eight week class with the Running Room and progressed to 2.5 K (with a break to walk every ten minutes) by the end of the eight weeks. I've continued on my own and I finished up 3.75 K this past weekend, which I am quite proud of.

I always break and walk after ten minutes. You don't have to run continuously to see results, and frankly it's a lot easier on the joints to take breaks. I also run every other day to give my muscles and joints rest on my 'off' days.

I'm not sure that added exercise helps me lose weight but it allows me to eat more and still lose. I also have much more stamina, mobility, and flexibility than I had even a few months ago.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started running as a means to lose weight, however I quickly realized that successful weight loss starts in the kitchen. I don't account my weight loss to my running, I simply note that running made it easier to do so in the kitchen.

Like the majority of the people here, I started with the C25K program on January 1, 2013. Yes, I was a New Year's Resolutioner. I stuck with the program, listening to what everyone said about going slow, and if you think you can go slow then going slower. I remember, my runs started out around the 13:30 pace mark (or 4.5 mph on the treadmill). I kept with it and ran my first 5K that following March. I kept at it, researching and learning about my new fitness regime. That following summer I ran my first half marathon...then ran my first marathon this past December. I now hold an average pace in the 10:30s.

Running will supplement your weight loss, but make sure you are supplementing your diet to support your running. Many people forget about that part. They start running, keep their diets extremely low, and end up injured. Diet is a big contributor to injures, especially if you cut calories too low. Just remember that old saying, "You can't out run a bad diet." Because it is true. If you monitor your intake...investing in quality carbs (whole grains, fruits, vegetables), getting in protein, not over doing it on sweets, remaining adequately hydrated...then running will help a lot with your weight loss. Just make sure you are allowing yourself the room to enjoy life as well, or you may find yourself becoming over whelmed and abandoning running.

Runners are one of the most welcoming group of people out there...to keep up with it, I suggest maybe finding a beginners running group in your area (if there is one). They can help you keep at it when it starts to get tough (and it will, it does for all of us).
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started running at 242lbs. I could literally run for 1 min at a time. We're not talking one min then walk a min...it was run 1 min then walk 20 mins! I didn't know about couch to 5k. Well fast forward a few years later and i have lost 102 lbs. Only 88 on my fitness pal. I can now run for as long as i have the desire to do so. One day i ran 13.33 miles just to see if i could do a half. I only stopped cause i didn't have any water and i got thirsty =(
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Love your story, SchweddyGirl!

I started C25K in October and have since successfully completed a couple of 5Ks, a 15K (9 miles!) and am training for a half. Yesterday I ran a 6-mile training run and felt great.

C25K really works. Run (much) slower than you think you need to.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I totally agree that runners are AWESOME! We come in all shapes and sizes and are always willing to cheer someone on. Having friends or a friend to run with can make a huge difference.