Eating right for hormones

grey_stars
grey_stars Posts: 29
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone know of a food / natural product that will help level out hormones?

I went on birth control about 7 years ago and it completely threw my hormones out. Not just during TOM but all of the time. My doctor put me on a low dosage pill but that didn't help. About 2 years ago I stopped taking anything to try and give my hormones a chance to 'level out'. It has improved slightly but I still feel that my hormones are controlling me (highs and lows) most of the time. Also, even though I drink a lot of water and have a good skin care regime my skin is bad. I can't help but think this is related to my fluctuating hormone levels. Before I went on the pill I had good skin and minimal issues with hormones or even PMS.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    yams (not sweet potatoes)

Might check out these books - Lots of really good info about managing hormones naturally, even if not in menopause yet. The author also has other good books about hormone management at all stages.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Menopause/dp/0446614955

http://www.amazon.com/John-Lees-Hormone-Balance-Simple/dp/044669438X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

And this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hormone-Balance-Women-Exuberance/dp/0743406664/ref=pd_sim_b_4
  • meydusa
    meydusa Posts: 5
    Not sure how old you are, but you might want to look into Black Cohosh. I take it daily and I feel so much better now. You can look it up on the internet and see if you think it will help you. Good luck.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    I used to have endometriosis bad.. I tried every conventional treatment, but nothing worked for long.. until I began powerlifting. I needed to increase my protein intake dramatically, but didn't want to use whey products b/c of the cholesterol.. so I used soy protein. I put myself in remission with the soy intake.. it works so well in females who are experiencing symptoms d/t hormone problems.. maybe this would help you as well.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    I'm having the same problem. I was on birth control for 8 years and got off of it back in october and now I can't lose weight to save my life. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to make sure that it's a hormonal problem, they're going to draw blood I assume, my doctor thinks I have too much / too little testosterone because i've only gotton my period like 3 times since october too. =/ I already use soy protein such as EAS and it's still not helping. My moods are more erratic than they've ever been, I assume I sound pregnant, but I've already ruled that out.
  • grey_stars
    grey_stars Posts: 29
    Thank you all for suggestions. I am definitely going out to buy some soy and yams (if I can find them over here in Aus!). I am reading up on Black Cohosh also. I read somewhere that Omega 3 can help and that taking Fish Oil supplements is the easiest way of getting this into your system. Has anyone tried this forr PMS/hormones?

I am 24 so it's not related to menopause. It was definitely set off by taking the pill but I stuck with it for a few years for obvious reasons. My doctor says I now have a slight over-supply in estrogen but my testosterone levels are fine. He said normally it wouldn't have such a drastic effect but I just seem to be really sensitive to my hormonal changes. It also happens at strange times, not just during PMS or TOM so I can't plan to have a melt down.
This discussion has been closed.