stuck at your set point weight?

Options
Hi, just wondering if anyone had any tips or knows about what to do when you reach your set point weight and it becomes harder to loose the pounds? :grumble:

Replies

• tammys_changing
    Options
    In for the stuck advice!
  • Millitantselina1
    Options
    totally sucks :-( I've been the same weight for 3 weeks, starting to loose the motivation now! haha
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You'll need to make your diary public and tell people what you've been doing so far. Height, weight, age, calorie goal, how much you exercise, do you follow MFP and eat back exercise calories or use TDEE-%? Do you use a food scale?
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    What is a set point weight? I highly recommend adding more exercise. It can't hurt!
  • Millitantselina1
    Options
    Okay well I'm 27 years old and am 5ft 7. I started my diet using MFP a month ago with a calorie goal of 1200, I am using scales to weigh the food and scanning the packaging of whatever i eat so that the calorie intake is correct. I don't guess and if i don't know the calorie count for something i won't eat it as i don't want to risk putting it down wrong. I do an hour of exercise 5 days out of the week, this consists of walking, running and tennis (although in the last week I haven't as much as loosing the motivation). I started with the weight of 12st 10llbs. in the first week i dropped 4llbs and the week after 1llb. Ive been stuck on 12st 5llbs for 3 weeks now. on previous diets this is the weight i stop at and i usually end up loosing motivation and just stop my diet, despite adding more exercise (last diet I did swimming for an hour twice a day for 3 days out of the week and 2 days of 2 hour gym workouts). I really don't want to just stop this time round though. Ideally I would like to get down to 11st which would be a healthy weight for my height. Just wondered if anyone had the same expierence and what they did.
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding strength training or circuit training? I had to add a circuit training video to my routine and weight started falling off. I lost 17 pounds in 6 weeks.

I would suggest eating back maybe half of your exercise calories and incorporating circuit or strength training instead of only cardio. My body just does not like to loose weight if I only do cardio.
  • Millitantselina1
    Options
    thanks, I guess I could give it a go. what do you do for your strength/circuit training?
  • Sadi_Kalen
    Sadi_Kalen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i'm meant to be in maintenance now myself. original goal weight was 57 kg but i have settled at 59 as it seems to want to stay at 59 - 60 kg. annoys the hell out of me, i am trying everything i can to get back down to 57 kg at least (60 kg is in the overweight range for my BMI).

have been over training so i'm taking a break from exercise while i take another look at my calories but it's annoying. i've had trouble moving away from 1400 calorie limits just to maintain.
  • jojokmack
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    There's no such thing. If you want to lose weight you need to consume less and/or move more.

People get stuck (for whatever reason),......... your comments are not helpful. If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all!

I would try the advice that you have been given re. circuit training etc :D
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Okay well I'm 27 years old and am 5ft 7. I started my diet using MFP a month ago with a calorie goal of 1200, I am using scales to weigh the food and scanning the packaging of whatever i eat so that the calorie intake is correct. I don't guess and if i don't know the calorie count for something i won't eat it as i don't want to risk putting it down wrong. I do an hour of exercise 5 days out of the week, this consists of walking, running and tennis (although in the last week I haven't as much as loosing the motivation). I started with the weight of 12st 10llbs. in the first week i dropped 4llbs and the week after 1llb. Ive been stuck on 12st 5llbs for 3 weeks now. on previous diets this is the weight i stop at and i usually end up loosing motivation and just stop my diet, despite adding more exercise (last diet I did swimming for an hour twice a day for 3 days out of the week and 2 days of 2 hour gym workouts). I really don't want to just stop this time round though. Ideally I would like to get down to 11st which would be a healthy weight for my height. Just wondered if anyone had the same expierence and what they did.

How can you be maintaining on 1200 calories? :confused: I'm 5ft7 too, but 24 and 11st 7lbs, I have a desk job and do less exercise than you and am losing .5lbs a week on 1600 calories.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Set points are bunk.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Just wait. You've already lost a ton of water weight, so that's all gone. Now you will start losing at a slower rate.

I haven't checked your numbers, but 1200 seems very low for someone who is 5'7" and active. I'm 5'4" and basically a sloth, and I eat 1390 every day and am losing a pound a week.

Fast weight loss is due solely to losing water weight, which you've already done. Now you have to wait, like the rest of us, for nature to do her thing at her pace -- burn off the fat sllloooowwwlllyy.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I went a few days and your diary is empty, so how do you know your eating 1200 calories?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    jojokmack wrote: »
    There's no such thing. If you want to lose weight you need to consume less and/or move more.

People get stuck (for whatever reason),......... your comments are not helpful. If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all!

Yer funny.

This is a public forum. We'll all pretty much say anything we like, right?

The advice was spot on. Eat less, move more has countless BILLIONS of personal success stories, mmm-kay? Oh - and set points are actually bunk, too.

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a set point when I get stuck. I say it's your body changing gears. Tramp down a little harder on the exercise accelerator. (Just ignore any exercise water weight you gain on the scale and go by measurements and clothing fit.)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Set point ranges make a lot of sense to me, and I've never seen them debunked. They are quite clear in rats, less so in humans.

OP, why do you think you are in your set point?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yeah set points aren't a thing IMO. And three weeks is nothing, especially since it looks like your logging isn't consistent.

I'd up your calorie intake to something more sustainable, and tighten up your logging. Weigh all your solids, measure all your liquids. Give it another few weeks.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jojokmack wrote: »

He's right, there's no such thing as a "set point weight." Also, OP, 3 weeks is not enough time to truly plateau. Give yourself another 3 weeks to see results. Then readjust your calories or increase your activity.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Set point ranges make a lot of sense to me, and I've never seen them debunked. They are quite clear in rats, less so in humans.

Minnesota starvation experiment.

The fact that you can get below a set point doesn't mean that we don't have set points.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Minnesota starvation experiment.

The fact that you can get below a set point doesn't mean that we don't have set points.

Please provide a study that shows that set points exist.

Speaking from personal experience, I always thought my set point was 170-180 lbs, because I never got under that in my teens/early 20s. Then, in my late 20s, I actually counted calories, and worked out the numbers that I would need to get under 170. Guess what? I got down to 152 lbs without much struggle. So, I pretty much debunked my own "set point."