Holy Crap!!

Options
2»

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that everyone here is at a different stage in the process of getting healthy. When many people start, it's a huge deal just to change one or two things. Maybe they start by trying to meet cal goal and doing a little exercise - and don't worry about exact nutrients just yet. And that's ok. Because if that keeps them from being overwhelmed and quitting, then it IS the right way to do it. Hopefully it will lead to more progress and habits they can stick with.

Sure, I cringe when I see a diary where someone is at McD's every single day. But maybe that's an improvement for them - maybe they used to go 3 times a day.

So try to remember, everyone is fighting their own demons, at their own pace. :flowerforyou:

Lady, is it too forward to say I love you! LOL...Honestly you're so amazing and so wise!!! A lot of people on this forum could take a note from your book!

edit: oh btw, Lady knows my demons with Sodium lol...she's the one that informed me about it. I had no clue it could deter weight loss or that it had any effect on health. I had no idea that there was a limit on how much you should be consuming or that water was as important as it is lol. Learned a lot from her!

You're too kind. But I'm immensely proud of the progress you've made. :wink:

AWE! Thank you! I'm trying...it's all a learning process.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean... they should still lose weight though according to the calories in/calories out protocal. But I doubt they will be able to keep it off.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can just look at someone's journal and judge them and their eating habits...unless of course they at McDonalds everyday and other similar things. I get plenty of veggies but still eat "packaged" foods (nature valley bars..ect). I've been yelled at by a random person looking at 3 days of my journal telling me I wasn't getting enough fresh food or cardio exercise. That week was exceptionally hard for my money wise and I did what I could. In regards to the cardio...I do cardio...it's almost all I do. I walk a lot...and my assumption of his comment was that he looked at one day and didn't see the rest. Judging others without knowing what's the reason behind their journal isn't my idea of fun. (After the random email from this random person I made my journal friends only)

I keep my sodium in check now but I had a hard time the first few months of doing MFP.

I think being judgmental without knowing someones story is just...not cool but...we all have our own opinions. If these people asked for your opinion on their journal then i'd say give it ...if not then it's not your place to tell them they are wrong.

Yes! There have been weeks where money got super tight and I just couldn't afford all the fresh and healthy stuff..
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    LOL!! This is precisely why I don't have my diary public. I cannot take all of these know-it-alls judging. Where does anyone have room to judge?

I eat my fair share of this food that is termed "processed" and "junk" and somehow happened to lose 213 pounds in the process. Hmmmm... maybe I DO know a thing or two about watching my calories. My diet is ALL things in moderation and it is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me in regard to losing weight. I've tried every other diet known to man... but when it comes down to it, if I deprive myself, I put the weight back on. Of course, I still mostly eat healthy (fruits and veggies, etc.), but I don't deprive myself at all! I don't think there is anything wrong with a "treat." This journey is a long one and we should enjoy it!

Let me lose how it works for me and you can lose how it works for you... and then we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya!
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is why my food journal is private. I am afraid of jugements.

There are times when I am depressed or my day has been overly rushed due to work/kids/etc... and my meals reflect this. Furthermore, I work 3rd shift, so my meals are often very odd. I eat my first meal of the day about 7pm. At work (10pm-6am), I eat either several small snacks I bring with me, or a meal I have put together from what's leftover in the facility's fridge (I'm in nursing).

When I am very "down", I tend to eat more processed foods, and sometimes snag candy. Sometimes I even "fall off the wagon" regarding calories/nutrition.

Finally, I do not have internet at home. So my posting on my diet journal is more sporadic than I'd like. I record my meals in a hard-copy journal, but don't always get it transcribed online here.

Be careful of judging. I agree, nutrition is paramount. But we're all learning more every single day. We are all trying to do right. It's just not always easy. It's a complete lifestyle change, too.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can just look at someone's journal and judge them and their eating habits...unless of course they at McDonalds everyday and other similar things. I get plenty of veggies but still eat "packaged" foods (nature valley bars..ect). I've been yelled at by a random person looking at 3 days of my journal telling me I wasn't getting enough fresh food or cardio exercise. That week was exceptionally hard for my money wise and I did what I could. In regards to the cardio...I do cardio...it's almost all I do. I walk a lot...and my assumption of his comment was that he looked at one day and didn't see the rest. Judging others without knowing what's the reason behind their journal isn't my idea of fun. (After the random email from this random person I made my journal friends only)

I keep my sodium in check now but I had a hard time the first few months of doing MFP.

I think being judgmental without knowing someones story is just...not cool but...we all have our own opinions. If these people asked for your opinion on their journal then I'd say give it ...if not then it's not your place to tell them they are wrong.

Completely agree. It's hard to eat as well as you want when you have to live on a paycheck-to-paycheck basis. Also, judging others based on what they are eating is maybe part of the reason that person is here in the first place. Maybe they don't even know HOW to be healthy. Maybe they are trying to learn how to be better. Maybe for them, one bag of crisps is a really good day so they're proud. For some, it's a really slow process. Don't be judgmental, be suggestive and helpful. You win more bees with honey :heart:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Believe me there is nothing wrong with that, vegetables are known to burn more calories during digestion than you're consuming, so I think you're ok if you go over :)

I thought this was an urban myth - that you expend more calories digesting vegies than they contain?
    Have they taught you this at dietician college?
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Believe me there is nothing wrong with that, vegetables are known to burn more calories during digestion than you're consuming, so I think you're ok if you go over :)

I thought this was an urban myth - that you expend more calories digesting vegies than they contain?
    Have they taught you this at dietician college?

See what I mean? Even you have things you're still learning.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Unsolicited advice is never welcome. Heck, sometimes even solicited advice isn't welcome :) A while back someone posted they were having trouble losing, so I looked at their diary. While they were often under on total calories there were lots of cookies and other junk food and they were over on fat almost every day, by a LOT (sometimes double!). I mentioned that they might want to look at the fat in their diet. I was told, more than once, that fat doesn't matter. Lesson learned....I will never again comment on someone's diary - even if they ask!

Also, I only know what works for me. Maybe someone looking at my diary would be critical. But for now its working so I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing and let everyone else do what works for them.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    please get over yourself now