How do you get the best out of your treadmill?

Options
ok, this may sound dumb to you but could somebody give me a beginners program that I can input that will give me the results that I so desire....remember ladies and gents, I am a newbie at this!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends what results your after really, but assuming that you're wanting to run and you can comfortably walk for half an hour then Couch to 5K will get you running for 30 minutes continuously.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Jack up the incline
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That depends on your current fitness level. Test out how fast you can walk/run, what inclines you can go up to.. etc, then it will be easier to put a program together.
  • kibuuka675
    kibuuka675 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are sone treadmill programes on pop sugar website
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sell it and run outside
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Actually use it and don't let it collect dust.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Just turn it on and put one foot in front of the other. Adjust the speed and incline as you become comfortable. Shoot for a minimum of 20 minutes each session.

If you are starting from scratch, you should probably stick with walking.

Place a fan in front blowing on you. Turn on television, a video, or something to occupy your mind. Staring at a wall while using a treadmill or exercise bike is mind numbing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ok, this may sound dumb to you but could somebody give me a beginners program that I can input that will give me the results that I so desire....remember ladies and gents, I am a newbie at this!

Generally, to get the most out of your treadmill, you run on it.

For everything else, there's couch to 5k.
  • SlimtobeWed
    Options
    Thanks all. Xx
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    To get optimal results out of your treadmill, you would sell it and use the money to buy a weight set ;)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Intervals... sprint for one minute at 90% , walk for 1 minute normal pace. Do it for 30-45 minutes and be done. Buy some dumb bells and or whatever weights you can get your hands on. There is zero sense in spending hours on a treadmill. Just so you know :) Feel free to add me if you want to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Any kind of interval training would be good.

The main thing is just use it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm amazed by the people who say "sell the treadmill". It's a great cardio tool, and some actually enjoy it. I like running and incline walking on a treadmill because it's "me time" where I get to zone out to my audiobook without having to worry about cars, bumps in the road, avoiding trees, tripping on rocks or knocking people and pets out. I also happen to not like lifting. To each their own. OP, as some said the best thing to do with it is use it regularly, and the best thing you can do for you aerobic fitness level is to keep challenging yourself to a gradually harder workout, be it by increasing speed, duration, or incline. Increasing your fitness level will allow you to do harder workouts with less effort, which results in more calories burned.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm amazed by the people who say "sell the treadmill". It's a great cardio tool....

It's dull as f**k though.

I'd much rather get out, see deer, badgers, birds, trees and enjoy the fresh air.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm amazed by the people who say "sell the treadmill". It's a great cardio tool....

It's dull as f**k though.

I'd much rather get out, see deer, badgers, birds, trees and enjoy the fresh air.
    No deer and badgers on my run, indoors or outdoors.
    Right now, it's just cold. And dark. :) Come spring, though, I'll head back out, as I'm lucky enough to live where I can run outside most of the time.
  • NicholattaS9
    NicholattaS9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said couch to 5k. I personally do not enjoy running or really cardio in general. But couch to 5k gave me goals to help push me. I still use the app on my phone! The first 3 weeks are set up like a HIIT style run (where you run a short amount of time then walk, repeat) which is great for weightloss. Those 3 weeks of Couch to 5k are the only cardio I seem to be able to stick to. Realistically I know I wouldn't be doing any cardio at all if it weren't for that app! And my running speed is increasing each week, so I've been benefiting in that way as well.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Wash your wool in cold and hang it from the left hand rail of the treadmill. That works best for me.

Also, start at a reasonable pace 3.5mph with 0 incline. Adjust up or down as needed. Stay within your target heart rate or a pace where you are sweating but still able to have a conversation. Adjust as needed.
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love walking on an incline for 45 minutes to an hour.