Went over my calories!!!

Options
So yesterday I cooked a recipe called "bubble up pizza casserole" well the first time I typed in the ingredients it told me it had a little over 150 calories a serving so of course I made it. When I went back to put it in it decided to say it was over 1150 calories a serving. Stupid me ate 2 servings of it and totally went over my calories. Now I'm depressed because of that. I'm just needing words of encouragement today to help me through. I felt so bad that I thought well if I get up and do my walking for 30 minutes and do something else this afternoon. Well my 30 minutes of walking was only 17 minutes because my ankle was giving out on me and now I feel like I am letting myself down for failure. But I know if I keep pushing I will get there.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Learn from the mistake and move on, no point in beating yourself up over it, that's just counter-productive.

Drink plenty of water, do walks in small blocks, 10 to 15 minutes at a time a few times a day, learn, keep on doing :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What on earth was in it that made it over 1000 cals a serving?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    I am guessing a lot of cheese :) and big serves
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    whoa. was it layered with sticks of butter? sounds good though.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Don't give up and the extra calories will be lost in the weekly figure, we're here for a long time so there's always time to learn :)
    and if a kcal looks to good to be true.... lol
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it. You forgot to carry the one! It happens. But yeah, if the math seems too good to be true, double check your math. Keep on keeping on.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    It happens :) Log and move on, it's not a failure! Just a small setback. I've done it before as well!
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    not the end of the world. Think of it this way: you can't change what happened. Move on :)
  • ab3381
    ab3381 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us! I had no real idea about food and calories a few years ago and was shocked when I started learning more about it. My favorite nachos are 1000 calories a serving!
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Holy moses that's a huge difference in calories. Did you check it a third time? I would have!!

Don't feel bad though, it's over and done with and today is a new day. Keep on trying!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Are you positive it wasn't a serving size error? Something like cheese that has a serving size listing for 28g or 1g, and it defaulted to 28 without you noticing?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I would go back again and double check the recipe and the added ingredients with servings one more time. It may not be AS bad as you think (although most slices of pizza are about 400-600 calories and this sounds similar). Little mistakes can easily throw off the calories.

If it really is 1000+ per serving. Oh well, not much to do about it now. You could potentially drop a few extra calories over the next two or three weeks, but really, this isn't going to derail the loss for too long anyway. I would just shrug the shoulders and move on to the next day. Take it as a lesson to measure twice and cut once (as they say in construction).
  • crystalnichols395
    crystalnichols395 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I went back and looked through my whole time of being on myfitnesspal and noticed I do tend to have about 300-400 calories left a day so that helped me calm down some. I usually give myself a cheat day once every 2-3 weeks and I had that cheat day on Friday so when I went over Sunday I kinda freaked out but I don't think I went over my calories Friday night because I left half my food on the plate and took it home for later plus my husband ate half of the food I took home. So I'm going to look at the pizza casserole as my cheat day. Now just to get the scale moving down again, and the smile back on my face and try to work harder on my walking. Thanks guys for all the positive words. Feel free to add me as a friend on here. I need more supporters!!!!!
  • fleurk126
    fleurk126 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel like a bit of an imposter by replying and encouraging you because I felt terrible over the weekend, because I also went over my calories - just because I like to let my hair down at weekends and am new to MFP but as others have told me....it's not worth getting down about. It'll even out in the end. Point is - did you ENJOY the pizza? (before you knew about the calories) Never regret the things you enjoy! :)
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I once entered a meal as me eating the entire thing. Iforgot to break it down into servings. Maybe you did something similar?

Even if you didn't, it's ok. No one is perfect at this 100% of the time. Just pick back up and forget about it. :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It was Super Bowl Sunday yesterday, so across the U.S., people went over their calories, including me, and I don't even watch the Super Bowl, but cooked for the menfolk who did Now, it's Monday morning, and everyone is going back to their routine, which is all you need to do. Do you think all those guys who devoured entire pizzas, bags of chips, nachos, and 6-packs are crying the next day (unless their team lost)
  • badguye
    badguye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really, it is not a big deal, everyone goes over sometimes....part of the journey is having a healthy relationship with food, DO NOT beat yourself up....today is a new day!!! ( and besides it's a marathon not a sprint)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    One day won't derail your success so far. Maybe you could look for ways to make it a bit lighter the next time you make it?