Where to start in the gym?

Options
Hey

I left the gym ages ago due to working late shifts, I want to get back into it but feel its a waste because I only feel like ive had a workout when Ive done a class,

When I go the actual gym I dont have a clue where to start or what im doing and it puts me off!

Can anyone recommend whats best to start with for weight loss?

Ive looked online and some people suggest weights, others suggest cardio so I am completley confused on where to start?

Replies

• doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    Do classes if that's what works for you. Bodypump is great because it combines both cardio and weights. there are tons of awesome workouts online (check HIIT). "the best exercise is the one you'll do".
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The answer is both. Plus cleaning up your diet.

One of my starting resources is a book called "Strength Training for Women"* by Lori Echelon. She covers a lot, including the differences in training programs, and nutrition. It is organized well (great for beginners and carries through to advanced) and I think is a great resource. I still go back to it from time to time.
    *men can benefit from this too as weight loss/strength training is basically the same for both
  • lulubutterz
    Options
    Yeah I do love my classes and always go and I dont mind on my own especially ones like aeromix and zumba as I feel its more dance like which is what I enjoy..

I have also considered some fitness dvds but not sure if there a moneymaking scam..I would love to start some weight and strength training aswel but i feel so awkward when I go as I dont have a clue what I am doing, Will definitley look up the book. Thanks for your help :)
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye out for a good trainer at the gym. Watch for his/her attentiveness to their client, especially when they are focused on form. If you start liking what they are having their client do, approach them (when they aren't w/client), talk with them and if your gut says you'd like to work with them, then ask rate. If you can afford it, definitely go for it. A good trainer should help you through that awkward stage.

You have to start somewhere. Another good resource, if you want to get yourself started at home, a good app is "Body Weight, You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. A great variety of workouts from novice to elite. It comes with videos (for preview and as you are doing it), keeps time for you as well as warm ups & cool downs. I think I paid 3.99 for the app and have been using it for the past 2 years when I can't get to the gym.

Keep working, you'll get there.
  • hlvincent15
    hlvincent15 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually start with a 30 mim walk on the treadmill with a gradient between 3% - 7% it's so much fun as I'm not able to run due to achilies problems.
    Then I do 30 mins on crosstrainer. That's all I do with classes in between. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Most people should be doing both.

Look into established weight lifting routines and pick one that sounds reasonable based on the time you have and the equipment your gym has. Then try it for a month or so and see what you think. If you choose a free weight program, spend some time with youtube to learn form/technique before you start the program.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hey

I left the gym ages ago due to working late shifts, I want to get back into it but feel its a waste because I only feel like ive had a workout when Ive done a class,

When I go the actual gym I dont have a clue where to start or what im doing and it puts me off!

Can anyone recommend whats best to start with for weight loss?

Ive looked online and some people suggest weights, others suggest cardio so I am completley confused on where to start?

Start at the start then move right along.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it is down to preference. I don't particularly do cardio. Not running, jumping or any kind of jiggling, but I will swim for an hour.
    When I go to the gym I do weights because I loved doing weight training classes and I'll warm up on either the elliptical or the static bike.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi! The gym I joined offers free fitness assessments with a personal trainer. He took weight, measurements and a basic physical assessment of where I was - physically. He then took me on the floor and worked up a basic plan from which to start using machines and other skills to get started and to do it the proper way. It was a great place to start, with basic instruction and an actual plan. The center offers you the ability to revisit the trainer - without cost - at certain intervals to update your assessment and revamp your plan. For me, right now, my best form of exercise is swimming and aquatic classes - much easier on my body. But my point is if you're interested in a starting point and a plan, perhaps your gym offers a similar service. I find it's so important to enjoy what you're doing by way of exercise. That will help keep your commitment. Good luck!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    turtle0022 wrote: »
    Hi! The gym I joined offers free fitness assessments with a personal trainer. He took weight, measurements and a basic physical assessment of where I was - physically. He then took me on the floor and worked up a basic plan from which to start using machines and other skills to get started and to do it the proper way. It was a great place to start, with basic instruction and an actual plan. The center offers you the ability to revisit the trainer - without cost - at certain intervals to update your assessment and revamp your plan. For me, right now, my best form of exercise is swimming and aquatic classes - much easier on my body. But my point is if you're interested in a starting point and a plan, perhaps your gym offers a similar service. I find it's so important to enjoy what you're doing by way of exercise. That will help keep your commitment. Good luck!

exactly this.

start with an organised orientation and go from there.

nuffield gyms in the uk do this quarterly as part of membership.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At the entrance with your mind and focus
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to start out with 10-15 minutes of cardio. Just enough to get your muscles warmed up and then do a weight lifting/calisthenics routine based on body type. (Day 1:Arms/Shoulders/Back, Day 2:Abs/Chest, Day 3:Lower Body, etc.) You do what feels right for you. If you're looking for help, try Fitocracy. It's helped me plan out a workout before I get to the gym so I'm not meandering around clueless. It's always best to have a plan, but mix it up. Don't do the same routine every day or every week. Boredom is the biggest lead to failure. Good luck!