Cutting out alcohol and sugar...

Options
So awhile back I stopped drinking alcohol and I'm now working on the added sugar. I still like to go out with friends and sometimes water just doesn't cut it for me. I'm curious to see if any non-drinkers have drink suggestions for me that don't have a lot of sugar in them. For awhile I'd just been ordering tonic with lime but I just realized how much added sugar is in tonic water! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cutting sugar, that's understandable, but alcohol ??

I suppose just go for the diet drinks or make the full fat ones (and yes I know sodas don't have fat - it's just a saying) fit into your macros.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

I suppose just go for the diet drinks or make the full fat ones (and yes I know sodas don't have fat - it's just a saying) fit into your macros.

Alcohol inhibits weight loss (and the OP could also be cutting it out for other reasons). I've cut out alcohol during the week because I found that the daily glasses of wine added up and I gained weight. And yes, it was the wine because I weigh everything and there is not anything that I don't track.

Anyway OP, why not go with seltzer water and a splash of cranberry or a twist of lemon or lime? Seltzer has no calories, no sugar, nothing. Really, that might be your only option since soda has a ton of sugar and I won't even suggest the aspartame filled diet crap.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I personally found my weight loss jumpstarted when I cut out alcohol because 1) I was tending to get the nibbles with my wine and 2) even a glass or two was leaving me with less energy the next morning, which held back my workouts.

So, I say, "cutting alcohol, that's understandable. But, sugar?!?" Because sugar won't give you a hangover. Some people claim it gives them the nibbles, though, so I guess that's a reason.

OP, I like seltzer with either a twist of lemon or some 100% cranberry juice. (NOT 100% juice cranberry cocktail. I'm talking about the 100% unsweetened cranberry juice.) Knudsen's is the easiest to find national brand, it's cheaper to get the store brand at your local Foodhold store (Stop and Shop or Giant on the East Coast, not sure what their other owned brands are. The juice is "Nature's Promise" and in the health food section) or Trader Joe's. It's very tart and refreshing with the bubbles and when you are just adding a quarter cup to a healthy serving of water (carbonated or not) you can count the calories on your fingers.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Alcohol inhibits weight loss (and the OP could also be cutting it out for other reasons). I've cut out alcohol during the week because I found that the daily glasses of wine added up and I gained weight. And yes, it was the wine because I weigh everything and there is not anything that I don't track.

Anyway OP, why not go with seltzer water and a splash of cranberry or a twist of lemon or lime? Seltzer has no calories, no sugar, nothing. Really, that might be your only option since soda has a ton of sugar and I won't even suggest the aspartame filled diet crap.

I was being very tongue in cheek with my cutting alcohol comment - I applaud anyone who wishes to cut anything to help them achieve their goals.

I personally found wine (red in particular) didn't hinder my 35lb loss. I chose not to cut it out or back and had no issues. I'll be honest I found cutting back the bread, rice and pasta easier (that was the secret to my own success, so far).

OP there are some nice tasting diet drinks on the market and have you thought about slimline tonic?

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like lime with soda water, tho' you need to watch it if you're cutting sodium. ou can get sugarfree tonic water.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I started drinking soda water or club soda or sparkling mineral water to curb urges to eat / drink at night. Soda water with lime is very nice. I also like fresca, which is sugar free. Those are also both great mixers with clear liquor. Probably the lowest calorie cocktails you can make.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    pish - if you can't learn to include things now that you'll want back in your diet at your goal weight then how will you incorporate them back when you're done "dieting".

Include your alcohol calories in your logging, prelog to make it easier to stick to your goal and don't demonize foods.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

How does it inhibit weight loss, keeping calories constant?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In a bar? Club soda. Club soda and bitters is even better.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you don't want artificial sweeteners, then club soda is probably your best bet. Get it with a lemon or lime twist.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

For me, because I stop caring about calories. calories schmalories.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

For me, because I stop caring about calories. calories schmalories.

Stealing from another thread, it causes the drunchies...
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Diet tonic.
  • bren3345
    bren3345 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was exactly what I was looking for and I will definitely either buy these things at the store or choose them at the bar next time I'm there!

There are multiple reasons for cutting out sugar and alcohol and it has less to do with what I'm eating but how I feel after I eat those things. Yes, I still plan on eating some sugar in moderation because I know I could NEVER give up chocolate. :) The alcohol, on the other hand, has more to do with the kind of person I am when I drink. So I'm not cutting alcohol because I'm trying to lose the last 5 pounds, I'm cutting it because I have not been a very responsible person while drinking.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am having sugar and alcohol for dessert today.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try soda water with a lime and lemon.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I am having sugar and alcohol for dessert today.

melimom is my new bestie.
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I agree totally. We have a soda stream. You can add lime or real juice if you want to change the flavor.
  • tanyabecka
    tanyabecka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No need to add excess sugar to your diet than what's already in your foods. I try to only eat the sugar that's in my fruits, veggies and things like peanut butter. My protein powders/bars only have 2g added sugars at most.