best activity tracker - particularly for tracking sleep

Options
I'm thinking about purchasing an activity tracker. What I hope is to find one that will be particularly helpful to me in improving my sleep. I've heard some just track movement, whereas others may have more indepth information through monitoring heart rate changes (heart rate variability?) Frankly, it's been a bit confusing and difficult to find clear information on these features, so I'm hoping to get some clarity here.

The main ones I've been considering
Up3
Basis Peak 2
Fitbit Surge
Fitbit Charge HR

Other goals for the tracker,
I don't think I will be able to get great accuracy in calorie burns since my primary exercise is variable (dancing which is lots of different paces and movements, and HIIT) rather than steady state. I think the overall count would still be motivating to me to do more. I liked how the vivofit would prompt me to move if I'd been stationary. I also prefer to be able to shower with the unit and have it function as a watch.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would add Withings Activite Pop to the list, it is waterproof and does sleep tracking. No heart rate monitor, but it does have the added benefit of looking more like a watch and less like an activity tracker.
  • mtgrzz
    mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Supposedly UP3 will learn your activity so it doesn't have to be a steady state. I wanted to know my sleep cycles and I believe the UP3 is the only one that is supposed to do it. I pre-ordered on December 1 but am still waiting for it :/ Hoping it's worth the wait.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Thanks, the activity pop is very nice looking, although probably not what I want for the sleep tracking. I guess I'll hold out for the UP3. Which sadly has no watch function.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    This isn't an answer to your question, but one website I've found helpful in reducing anxiety about sleep is http://sleepyti.me/ . You plug in your desired wake time and it comes up with several target sleep times based on average sleep cycles. Which I like, because if I find I'm up later than I "ought" to be, I can relax, knowing I have more than one chance at half-decent rest. It's more of a headgame, really, but maybe it's worth a try until you find the device you like :)

Actually, I think there are a few apps that do the same thing, though they don't offer individualized recommendations, I don't think. Although some claim to - this one says it "measure your resting heart rate (RHR) every morning using the camera and flash in your device", I'm sure you've already seen it. I haven't tried it, though, it might work!
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Thanks, tomatoey. I agree that understanding sleep cycles can make a big difference. I don't have itunes, but android has some good sleep cycle apps as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry no help here. My CPAP machine tracks for me. I now know I sleep exactly 7.5 hours a night. I have a very boring and reliable sleep cycle.
  • girlviernes
    Options
    Your boring and reliable sleep cycle sounds wonderful :)
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have an Up24, which I guess is an earlier model of the Up3. I love it, and its sleep tracking function (which, with software updates, has improved a bit over the 6 months I have had it). Personally, I would get an Up24 now and not wait for the Up3 (I've heard that the Up3 may not be out for a while yet).
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have the charge (non HR). It goes into sleep mode automatically which is nice because I used to forget all the time with my Flex.
  • helenrachel123
    helenrachel123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have just started using a sleep App on my phone it also has an alarm that wakes you gently during your lightest sleeping phase