Calorie allowance as a food budget

I'm a frugal person, and I just realized that calorie allowance = daily budget. You can buy foods with that budget - some are cheaper and some are more expensive. I always go for best value for my dollar, and I think thinking about spending calories like that will be helpful. Anyone else think about it that way: buying food with calories?

Replies

• alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    I totally have been thinking the same thing. I have a limited amount of calories just like I have a limited about of $ so, spend it however I want, but spend it wisely. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes!
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    Odd how healthy food is more expensive. But, investing in our health is priceless. I myself try to go organic when possible. I keep an eye out for sales, cut down in other ways to compensate for the increased cost of my groceries. I figure it's cheaper to eat healthy than to say stroke out.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I think whole foods is cheaper than convenience foods (odd name really, because whole foods is much more flexible and easy to prepare, and it's tastier too). I don't buy anything special, just normal food, and never organic unless that is the only option or the same price as a conventional item.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I'm a frugal person, and I just realized that calorie allowance = daily budget. You can buy foods with that budget - some are cheaper and some are more expensive. I always go for best value for my dollar, and I think thinking about spending calories like that will be helpful. Anyone else think about it that way: buying food with calories?

Yup, and sadly I started out my initial weight loss (before finding MFP) with trying to balance my financial budget. My student loans were coming due, I was a post-doc with a low paycheck, and so to save money, I cut my lunch portions. Worked well with cutting calories too. :smile:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I think in this way and love 'earning' more calories from exercise.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I think in this way and love 'earning' more calories from exercise.

Hm, now I don't feel so bad for thinking of the gym as a second job...
  • I love this! I am three months post pardum and still have a vivacious appetite. I am a crazy clearance and sales shopper. This just completely put calories and exercise into my lingo! Awesome! Thank you!