hating my obsession

Options
so..i am sitting here, kids are down for a nap(neither wanting to sleep though!) and i am trying to decide whether to exercise...

get up and exercise...am sure that's what you're all thinking...BUT...i am actually trying to stop myself!!

i have a major obsession with having to exercise, if i don't then i feel lazy...but for the last few weeks my net calories have been low...most days i've been under on cals by about 1000-1300!!

so i have done my food log for the full day, and i have only just gone over my basic amount..and i will be doing p90x core synergistics later too, so that will add on about 400

i hate that i am so obsessed with the numbers, i absolutely hate myself if i don't burn at least 1000cals a day...but i can't eat that much back!

please tell me i'm not the only one???

Replies

• marj972
    marj972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Don't hate yourself because you want to be healthy, it is really good, question is, are you obsessed because you want to reach your ideal weight? or just exercising?
    If it is just the weight, you won't do it as much when you'd have finally lost those last few pounds. You have done really well.
    If it is exercising in itself, then I think setting yourself a limit would be an idea. Why not stop after an hour of exercise?

Since I started to log everything on this website, I think I am just starting to have this obsession, I keep adding exercises that I wouldn't normally do so I think I understand a little bit, even though I don't feel I am overdoing it.

I don't know if I have been any help at all. anyway, well done and good luck for the rest of your journey
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Hun, i am finding more and more that i'm getiing stressed about not exercising, I'm noticing such difference already and it makes you feel so good that i want to carry on and keep going so much so that i really think i could end up with the very same problem!

My only saving grace is that i don't have the treadmill/gym at home like you so if i'm exercising during the day its with C there or something quite low impact.

I think if you can try and lower your cal's burnt by say 100 a day for a week and gradually get to a sensible goal it could work?
    You are Sooooooo driven and you have done amazingly well! Maybe gear your drive toward a healthier attitude toward the numbers?
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

If you are worried and want to cut down a bit, dont think about it as numbers. Dont think '1000 calories to burn' maybe think of it in minutes, like 'im going to do 1hour of exercise every day' ...

Only think of it as a problem if its causing you harm. Are you still losing weight? Are you losing too much weight?

If you are happy with how you feel then I think thats all that matters. I wish I had the same motivation as you to exercise! Has this always been something you enjoyed doing or only recently? Any tips to how to feel more motivatied to work out?
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i've always loved to exercise...i used to spend 4hours a day in the gym...i had THE perfect body...tanned, toned and very fit!

although i've lost the 'weight' my body just isn't what it was, i think that my subconscious thinks if i keep going with the exercise i'll get it back...but logically i know it's not working as yet again i'm in that loop of gaining and losing the same 2lbs

i set myself goals like 'i'll do only 1hour' and the hour comes and goes and still i carry on...today i logged for an 800cal workout(plus p90x) and i went and did 1100 instead!!!! the other day i actually had to text sam to tell him to come stop me cos i can't bring myself to stop

kell, you once said that my exercising was extreme...and i think you're right! i am totally sabotaging myself...i give advice to others about eating back exercise cals, moderate exercise etc, but i don't listen myself!
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I dont know where you find the strength to spend that long at the gym!

After I had done 40 minutes of cardio earlier my stomach started rumbling, telling me it was time to go home!

Do you not feel physically and mentally tired after doing all that work?

When you are on the treadmill, what kind of work out do you do? A constant run or walk with incline etc?
  • kentlass
    Options
    afterwards i'm buzzing which is a good thing because as soon as i finish my workout i have to go back to being 'mummy' as my husband looks after the kids while i do a workout(i usually put them down for their nap though so they don't know im gone)

...i have a gym set up in my spare room so afterwards i only have to go downstairs! lol

i work by the calories my treadmill shows...so i'll 'burn' 50calories at a 12%incline, speed 5.5mph....then i take it up and do a mix of jog at 6.8mph and then take it up to 7.3mph...then back down, and up etc...trying to mix it up to keep my heart rate nice and high....and so my body doesn't get bored
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i've always loved to exercise...i used to spend 4hours a day in the gym...i had THE perfect body...tanned, toned and very fit!

You gotta' eat if you want to get back there. When it comes to fitness, definition, etc., it stops being just "cals in vs cals out" and all about bodyfat%. You need to get your LBM up while staying at the same weight i.e. get your bodyfat down. Maybe just start hitting weights heavy instead of the treadmill. Iron builds muscle, definition, tone. Treadmills just burn calories.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    the other day i actually had to text sam to tell him to come stop me cos i can't bring myself to stop

This is a giant red flag. From a place of complete non-judgment and compassion, I suggest you talk this issue over with whatever kind of mental health professional you feel most comfortable with. Behaviors like this can take you into eating disorder territory, or lead to body dismorphic disorder. Be careful, and be kind to yourself :flowerforyou:
  • kentlass
    Options
    seansquared...i'm doing p90x on top so i'm weight training 3days a week on top, but i know i need to cut the cardio...i just have to deal with my 'issues' to be able to do that.

luckyleprechaun...i'm already realising i have a huge problem and trying to get it under control before it gets more severe :)
  • kell_riley
    Options
    Kenty when I said that you were doing less sweetheart! You know it worries me! Get yourself to the doctors Hun!

On another note why not change things, take the incline down to 5? 12 is massive!
    I've been running for about 45-50 mins on a 1 incline at about 8.5-9.0(kph I think) it burns about 600 cals and is more manageable to eat back! I'm only doing 1 incline as aparently it replicates outside running and I'm doing 10k in July!

I honestly see you as a guru for all you knowledge and you know the advise you give is sound and works! Listen to yourself lol x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have to say I was a bit concerned at the amount of exercise you said you were doing on the thread about carrying over calories. It does seem to have become something of a stress-factor with you, and I share your worry that its become an obsession. Have you someone you can trust to talk this over with?

Sending you lots of positive vibes :flowerforyou:
  • kentlass
    Options
    well girls...today i managed to quit at 815!!! i agreed with my hubby that i'd stop at 800 max!!!

i was so proud of myself, came down to tell my hubby...and he told me off for doing the extra 15...totally deflated me

Kell, i don't do dr's...i hate them! ,ol
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Hey that's great! That's your first step,keep at it girl:flowerforyou:
  • kell_riley
    Options
    Woohoo! That's actually a fab achievement! Welldone!

Try again today Hun! It'll get easier x
  • kentlass
    Options
    i tried it again...and did it!! yet again i stopped at 850!

although i had to run out super early so didn't have the time to do more...and been sat in the car all afternoon so still can't eat it all back :(
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Hey, whatever it takes! Good job, keep at it.